Transamerica Med Supp

I probably have 400 med supps on the books with them. Here in in PA they reduced their rates on plan G, which was not that uncommon after the plan F closing announcement.

What was uncommon, at least in my experience, was they lowered the rates on existing clients who had bought plan G. My clients were thrilled.

One piece of advice in doing business with them: Avoid paper apps at all costs. There are about four or five spots for the client to sign and date and without fail something will go wrong when they receive the app. Half the time someone at TA will say pages are missing because some dope scans it in wrong.

Can confirm, they are notorious for being a massive pain in CA. They have great rates, but they want to dodge that O.E birthday rule any way they can. I don't know why they bothered with CA if they were going to be a nightmare for all Birthday rule people. They also have great rates in WA. I've quoted them 0 times. It's funny they're trying so hard to be competitive but standing in their own way of getting business. If you're going to be a nightmare for a portion of our business us agents are going to send you zero business. Too bad they'll never learn their lesson. Just like with life insurance, they never learned how to effectively process an application. When most carriers are taking a monthish and they're taking 3+ months for an app. I honestly can't believe they're still in business, they can't figure out any line of insurance without screwing it up.

I was thinking of getting an apmnt w/them but was warned off b/c they supposedly undercut independent agents by calling Premier policy holders & offer the lower price company/captive line & cross sell ....
Any truth? Thought maybe of just changing clients phone numbers to my office line after issue.

I was thinking of getting an apmnt w/them but was warned off b/c they supposedly undercut independent agents by calling Premier policy holders & offer the lower price company/captive line & cross sell ....
Any truth? Thought maybe of just changing clients phone numbers to my office line after issue.

I have not heard of that and I really don't think there is any truth to that concerning Trans. I hope I'm not wrong.

they have one of the lowest rates in Calif for med supps which is why I got contracted with them.

That's not always a good reason to use a particular carrier. I know a lot of agents are constantly in search of today's special (low rate) but that WILL come back and bite you and your client at some point.

The Medigap road of life is littered with policies bought when no underwriting was required but now that the rates are increasing by double digits no one will take the applicant.

That said, there simply are no guarantees in life and that includes the ability to pick the "right" carrier.

Back