Trial Right Back to MS

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
I am working with a man that took out a MS when he turned 65. He is now 75 and was on the plan from 65 to 75.Back in the fall he enrolled in a MAPD. Doc wasn't in network. He dropped his plan effective Feb 29 and went back to OM and enrolled in a PDP. Does he have a "trial right" back to his original Medigap at this time or does he have to go back within 63 days of coverage ending?

I ask because I saw this on medicare.gov

"Your rights may last for an extra 12 months under certain circumstances."

Didn't know the "certain circumstances"?

FYI---For the record, I was not the agent that moved him from MS to MA

I am working with a man that took out a MS when he turned 65. He is now 75 and was on the plan from 65 to 75.Back in the fall he enrolled in a MAPD. Doc wasn't in network. He dropped his plan effective Feb 29 and went back to OM and enrolled in a PDP. Does he have a "trial right" back to his original Medigap at this time or does he have to go back within 63 days of coverage ending?

I ask because I saw this on medicare.gov

"Your rights may last for an extra 12 months under certain circumstances."

Didn't know the "certain circumstances"?

FYI---For the record, I was not the agent that moved him from MS to MA

should be good on GI but may have a waiting period for pre-ex

extra 12 months is a carrier specific thing.i know aarp/uhc offers it

Thanks, my thought as well. His was with a different company originally. I am waiting on them to call back. Would be cheaper than UHC. Hopefully he can return with his old company.

UHC offer it if they weren't the original company?

Last edited:
Does UHC have one of those rules that you can rewrite all you want but no commission unless you were the original writing agent?

Does UHC have one of those rules that you can rewrite all you want but no commission unless you were the original writing agent?
Don't know. This guy was with a different company originally. I have received conflicting info on what he can or cannot do. I never asked him why he went to an MAPD plan. Don't know if he signed up direct or with an agent. I spoke with a T65 today that signed up over the phone with Humana. PPO. They checked her doc but didn't ask her about hospitals. She also wasn't aware that she would have a maximum out of pocket of $6700 and some other details. ----------

Got a call back this morning and he will be good to go with his old company. He will be a happy man.

Last edited:
Pre-ex would only apply if he did not have any coverage. But he had original Medicare so no pre-ex.

Pre-ex would only apply if he did not have any coverage. But he had original Medicare so no pre-ex.

No Original medicare does not count as creditable cov for pre ex, However a MA, Supplement, Group , VA benefits are examples of creditable cov that would avoid pre waiting period

Back