Trial Right

jemelton

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just came across someone that has a med advantage this year for the first time ever.

I know they can go back to original Medicare anytime in the first 12 months and are gi for a med supp.

My question is, Can I have them go through underwriting and get a med supp plan n with me if they qualify medically. Do they have to go back to their old company for a med supp? Thanks in advance...

Just came across someone that has a med advantage this year for the first time ever.

I know they can go back to original Medicare anytime in the first 12 months and are gi for a med supp.

My question is, Can I have them go through underwriting and get a med supp plan n with me if they qualify medically. Do they have to go back to their old company for a med supp? Thanks in advance...
You can use a different company and have it underwritten, but not all companies will let you do it. Better call and make sure the company you want to place it with will let you do it. :yes:

This seems more complicated than it should be.....
Some companies choose to follow the guidelines, but they can interpret it the way they want. Oxford used to be ok with it and it seems like Aetna was too. I don't know if they still do.

Just takes a few phone calls to find out. Let us know who'll do it.

So I am wanting to allow someone to exercise their trial write by going back to original medicare mid year. I am wanting to have them fully underwritten. Why would a company have a problem with this?

One possible reason might be that the rules require the carrier to issue a policy GI. They may decide they don't want to issue a regular policy and pay the agent full commission.

(Not an agent-just a viewpoint that makes sense to me from a business management perspective.)

Not all plans are offered gi. I am sure not being an agent you do not know this. A company would rather have a fully underwritten plan N than a GI plan F to a guy with cancer...

So I am wanting to allow someone to exercise their trial write by going back to original medicare mid year. I am wanting to have them fully underwritten. Why would a company have a problem with this?
Have you read "Choosing A Medigap Policy" that we're supposed to leave with people when they buy? Page 23 of the 2017 Guide(the year's 1/2 over and still haven't seen one for 2018, lol). There are guidelines that some companies choose to follow. Other companies choose to interpret it their own way.

Call your favorite company tomorrow and ask them.

Not all plans are offered gi. I am sure not being an agent you do not know this. A company would rather have a fully underwritten plan N than a GI plan F to a guy with cancer...

Apologies, I was working from trial right 4 rather than trial right 5.

Make sure you make a notation and let them know that they're under Trial Right, but you're underwriting it. I've heard of a couple of companies that'll put it GI (so they don't have to pay you). The new Med Supp company will want a copy of the Disenrollment letter.

Back