TriCare and Medicare

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
I ask this question because I know nothing about TriCare, other than I've been told not to take anyone off TriCare for a Medicare Supplement or a Medicare Advantage Plan.

All of the Veterans I work with don't have TriCare, so they get a MA only plan, and run it parallel with VA Benefits. Yes, I know, VA benefits don't coordinate care with Medicare.

Was asked by a woman whose husband has TriCare, if she can get a Medicare Supplement and still access his TriCare benefits.

My gut answer is no, but, like I said, I know very little about TriCare, and told her I would find out from someone who knows and get back to her.

Don't worry, she is not a prospective client of mine.

If they have Tricare for life why would they need or want a supplement?

I ask this question because I know nothing about TriCare, other than I've been told not to take anyone off TriCare for a Medicare Supplement or a Medicare Advantage Plan.

All of the Veterans I work with don't have TriCare, so they get a MA only plan, and run it parallel with VA Benefits. Yes, I know, VA benefits don't coordinate care with Medicare.

Was asked by a woman whose husband has TriCare, if she can get a Medicare Supplement and still access his TriCare benefits.

My gut answer is no, but, like I said, I know very little about TriCare, and told her I would find out from someone who knows and get back to her.

Don't worry, she is not a prospective client of mine.

Think of TriCare as a free medicare supplement with great rx coverage for life!

Just curious why you don't put VA people on a MAPD instead of MA only - assuming the MAPD is the same premium ?

Just curious why you don't put VA people on a MAPD instead of MA only - assuming the MAPD is the same premium ?

Right, I also find that most MAPD plans will get them cheaper drugs than they can get through the VA ($8/$9 for 90 day supply).

Here, in Atlanta, they tell me that the meds are almost free, while the docs are terrible. That's why. They get their almost free meds through the VA, and go to "the real doctors" through the MA only. If I were to put them in a MAPD, that would knock them out of the VA meds program.

Thank you for the information regarding TriCare. I will tell her.

Here, in Atlanta, they tell me that the meds are almost free, while the docs are terrible. That's why. They get their almost free meds through the VA, and go to "the real doctors" through the MA only. If I were to put them in a MAPD, that would knock them out of the VA meds program.

Thank you for the information regarding TriCare. I will tell her.

How would it knock them out of the VA drug coverage? They can use both.

We have plenty of vets who use the MAPD for their generics and use VA for their more expensive drugs like insulin, inhalers, eye drops etc..

Here, in Atlanta, they tell me that the meds are almost free, while the docs are terrible. That's why. They get their almost free meds through the VA, and go to "the real doctors" through the MA only. If I were to put them in a MAPD, that would knock them out of the VA meds program. Thank you for the information regarding TriCare. I will tell her.

It doesn't knock them out of getting meds through the VA. I have tons of clients on MAPD and get meds from the VA if they get free to low drugs. Otherwise they're just better off getting a MAPD with free generics.

I'm just telling you what they tell me. I know that the VA does not coordinate with Medicare. They just want the Medical coverage through the Medicare Advantage Plan.

I know I could sell them a zero premium plan with PDP attached, they just have it in their heads that the MA only plans would better suit their needs. I have even mentioned that Publix has free Metformin and Losartin. Still, they want to go to the VA to get it.

Maybe they feel the VA owes it to them, and that if they don't use it, they are not getting what they are entitled to. I don't know. It befuddles me.

I agree with you. And it makes sense to get an MAPD, but it's not what they want. In the end, it's their healthcare, not mine. Besides, putting them in an MA only plan is the same when it comes to medical treatment.

It's either give them what they want, or confuse and frustrate them and me.

I choose the former. It garners me referrals, and the persistency is great. For all I know, the VA is telling them to get an MA only plan, so they can go somewhere else for medical treatment.

Last edited:
I'm just telling you what they tell me. I know that the VA does not coordinate with Medicare. They just want the Medical coverage through the Medicare Advantage Plan.

I know I could sell them a zero premium plan with PDP attached, they just have it in their heads that the MA only plans would better suit their needs. I have even mentioned that Publix has free Metormin and Losartin. Still, they want to go to the VA to get it.

Maybe they feel the VA owes it to them, and that if they don't use it, they are not getting what they are entitled to. I don't know. It befuddles me.

It's either give them what they want, or confuse and frustrate them and me.

I choose the former. It garners me referrals, and the persistency is great. For all I know, the VA is telling them to get an MA only plan, so they can go
somewhere else for medical treatment.

That is some strange stuff. I have had zero vets tell me they would rather pay more their meds by going through VA. Seniors, mostly low income want anything they can get on a fixed income.

That is some strange stuff. I have had zero vets tell me they would rather pay more their meds by going through VA. Seniors, mostly low income want anything they can get on a fixed income.

The vets I have worked with are not exactly low income. Fixed income is not the issue. Maybe too much agent orange. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Other vets just go with a Med Supp F and don't get a stand alone PDP. Saves them $20 a month.

Last edited:
Back