Trouble....???

P&C underwriting factors (DMV reports, credit, etc) is not the same as PHI which is protected by federal laws. Unless HIPAA is repealed or amended, you are not going to see the kind of information available to agents that is required to underwrite & issue a policy.

Besides, agents are idiots. They think everything should be covered and every application approved.

Health underwriting is much more complex vs. auto or HO coverage.

Since I've never 'underwritten' a health policy, I'll have to relent that it is more complicated. As far as HIPAA goes, I'm not sure there is a limitation IF, similar to what is done for MVR access, you sign the appropriate paperwork, promise not to share or disclose, etc, etc. It basically would make you a 'junior underwriter', providing access. Now, I admit, I haven't read all of HIPAA laws, I could be way off base, but my guess is it is a convenient excuse, more than reality.

Besides, I write auto policies where the computer sees the MVR, I don't really have to, it simply tells me how to rate it. Now, I do actually pull an MVR and go over it with the client if there is anything worthwhile going over (such as that suspended license status).

Now, as far as agents being lazy buffoons, you got me there. This is of course, why, just as in P&C, the carrier would need a 60 day window to decline, something that doesn't currently exist in health, and I'm not sure if it does in all states on P&C. Of course, in health, they have 2 years, which seems a bit ridiculous!!!!

I just hate the waiting game. More carriers are going to rapid issue anyway, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Dan

If an agent wanted to underwrite health, they would need access to MIB and (can't think of the name right now) the bureau that lists Rx history. Unless you want to shell out thousands to access this information, you won't get to see it any way.

HIPAA has some teeth. Some docs wont even release info to the carrier unless the patient signs the doc's HIPAA form.

There is quite a bit to underwriting individual health. Way more than auto or HO.

Only a handful of carriers are really issuing on a rapid basis, but I expect more will as time goes on. Except for some specialty products, I don't see carriers giving binding authority to agents, or building it into the website.

The closest you can get to that now in a true major med plan is STM.

Stay away from Mega, Mid-West Nat'l, Health Markets, and/or Cornerstone Marketing...they're a joke, mis-leading, mis-representing to their agents, and you'll more than likely lose money, get bad leads, not get as many appointments as they say you'll get, not get as many sales as they say you'll get, not get as much money as they say you'll get, sell insurance that is not that good compared to what's out there, and you may have to owe them money when you leave for getting paid the advance!

Back