Truckers insurance

mboone

I’m looking to get licensed in other states, what are some good states for truck insurance?

The whole commercial auto market is in chaos right now. There have been a lot of changes, and will continue to be in the next few years. Whatever is a "good state" for truck insurance, may not be 3 months from now.

I'd say start with states you feel comfortable with, and go from there.

Thank you @Markthebroker
I am currently licensed in PA and applying for my license in FL,TX and GA this week.

The reason why I’m looking to get licensed in various states where truck insurance is in high demand is because I set up owner operators getting on the road. I get DOT,MC,BOC3,UCR,2290,EIN,DUN and LLC
Right now I’m only able to write insurance in the state of PA, so I have been referring insurance out to other agents.

I don't know if this would work, but it may be worth talking to some clusters and see if they can give you access to all the markets through their licenses. It would be easier and cheaper than getting multiple licenses, and you would have all 50 states. Yeah, you'd take a hit on your commissions, but it would take a lot of others costs and work off your plate.

Just an idea, worth a look.

If you own a p&c agency you won't be able to get a direct appointment with every carrier, unless you are absolutely enormous. Even then, you won't write enough business with EVERY carrier to get a direct appointment with each carrier. In your case, I am guessing you are pretty new, and aren't yet big enough to get very many direct appointments.

So, what you do is go to a cluster that has the direct appointments, and they give you access to those carriers. My office uses United Valley, and we have been very happy with them. If you want more ideas or input on which cluster to go with, I'd suggest you start a new thread, something like "which cluster should I go with" and you can get lots of other peoples opinions, because of course mine is limited to my own experience and biases.

Last edited:
CA has trucking for days. We have a large port in long beach.

Bump - Now, trucking companies swamped with demand are turning down freight and raising contract rates by 10% or more, with more increases expected next year.

the-port-of-long-beach-is-the-second-biggest-port-by-container-volume-and-moved-606-million-twenty-foot-equivalent-units-teus-in-2011.jpg

Last edited:
Any state in the mid-west is good for trucking risks. The money is good if you get the right truckers or trucking company’s. However about 50% of the first timers end up dropping off and causing chargebacks, for various and assorted reasons. So make sure you set aside some of that upfront commission and be careful, 1/3 of them (one or two man trucking companies) are very good at finding ways to get around doing things the right way, which can land you in trouble. Make sure you ask them to confirm all the questions on the apps….. #justmyopinion

Back