True Drop Down Personal Umbrella--International Coverage

birch15

My wife and I travel internationally and rent cars often. We have a personal umbrella policy that provides worldwide coverage, but we are told that we must have primary insurance that meets the underlying requirements of $300K/500K, which is not always obtainable in other countries. Our auto policy applies only in the US, Canada and Mexico.

Are there any personal umbrella policies that drop down when there is no underlying coverage overseas?

Interesting, very few auto policies cover trips in Mexico. Quite a few true umbrellas extend liability coverage to international rentals. The rare policy also covers damage TO the vehicle. In many countries you may be required to buy insurance. Buying the loss damage waiver on almost any rental is usually my recommendation, domestic or foreign.

Any Umbrella I have ever seen does not go into effect until the underlying limits are met, either by another policy or your pocket. Can't see an Umbrella ever becoming primary coverage if that is what you are asking

Thanks fed up. Good information. Looking for any suggestions - umbrella with low underlying limits, 3rd party property policies in Australia you can buy for a hired vehicle etc. Insurance is complicated.

Latest posts

Back