Trying to Decide Between SF and Farmers

maquina

Hello everyone;

Just completed my reserve interview with Farmers and I am getting set up for my 2nd one in two days. After working on becomes an approved candidate with State Farm, I have decided to open my options and see what Farms have to offer.
I am very pleased with Farms first step. After reading everyone's blogs, advise and feedback I wanted to know if anyone out there can share their experience on what to do next with Farmers Insurance. I know that after becoming an approved Candidate with State Farm, I have to basically cross my fingers than an agency will become open, I will have to interview for the agency and again I will have to cross my finger and get that spot. We're talking a procvess that can take between 6 months if I am lucky or 2 yrs if I am the right person.
Farmers offers me the 2yr "internship" in which I can make my mind whether or not is the right thing for me to do. My question is: Has anyone out there done both and can share their experience.
Thank you again.

State Farm all the way! Either that or Allstate depending on the area. Silly question though, why are you looking at captive instead of independent? I did the Allstate deal for a year and as far as p&c goes it had a lot of support, great brand recognition, and they invest almost as much as the agent does to get going. I've never done State Farm, but from what I understand they have a somewhat similar situation.
Rarely have I spoken with an agent with farmers that had much success with it as a scratch agent and it seems like the bar they set for "hiring" agents is pretty low. I'm sure that can vary by area, but that's what I've seen and I'm sure it's not too far off.

Last edited:
Start indy from the beginning.I wasted 6 mo. with Farmers in the hope that I get trained.All 6 mo training was worth 2-3 weeks max.It's tougher to be independent , but in the long term is better.

My response would be neither. If you want to go captive try someone like Shelter, American Family, Nationwide, Country Companies, Farm Bureau, etc. I think SF, Allstate, and Farmers are not good gigs anymore.

Last edited:
It depends what lines you are trying to sell.

State Farm has excellent brand recognition. But that is the only good thing I have to say about them.
Their old contracts where excellent. The new contract they are offering for agents is terrible!! It gives you about half the money making opportunity than the old contracts did (from what im told).

State Farm is not worth the 6 month wait, much less the 2 years.

I dont know as much about Farmers. I have heard decent things about them in my area, but nothing stellar. Im not sure what their contract looks like.

I would suggest talking to some local independent P&C agencies in your area. Being able to offer multiple carriers is a huge plus that captive agencies will play down, and tell you it doesnt matter. It does!

Also you will be very limited on what lines of P&C you can write with SF or Farmers. Being indy you can get into the many lines of business ins, along with the personal lines.

If its life insurance your looking at doing talk to NYL, Mass, NWM, Pru, ML, Guardian, etc. They are the best at training new agents.

Thank you so much all of you for your feedback. It's good to hear positives, negatives but most importan how professional in answering my questions all of you are.
I am also considering Indy, but it's like going to a new Country and learn the languange from zero. Pretty scare, but if you never take a risk, you never know. Does it make sense to work for Farmers, learn then business during their training and move on my own?

My advise is to not take advice from people on a forum who probably live and work different markets. Go talk to some local farmers agents and some local State Farm agents. Most will gladly talk to you. Make sure you know how long they have been in the business, talk to a few that have been doing this less than 5 years.

If you can, talk to some local independents as well. They tend to be a bit tougher, not wanting to help out a possible competitor.

Dan

Back