Trying to Get Hired As a Producer (FL)

leroman

Expert
Florida
After working on the commercial real estate insurance business for 16 years, Got to the point of "career burnout" and went back to school to get the 20-44 (personal lines) to serve me as introduction; Eventually got my 220 license and Surplus license as well; Went on the field and applied to dozens of companies Online, as well as several walk ins to drop my resume in person. I am trying to get a job focusing on commercial lines (due to my background and the fact that i already have plenty of contacts plus i am bilingual), Not making any demands and willing to earn my keep. All of the companies only want experienced agents and i still haven't found a single one yet that is willing to groom an agent willing to learn and bring business. I find it funny that an industry such as insurance that complains so much about not being able to find fresh talent willing to join the ranks is so unwelcoming to newcomers.Not trying to be negative or complain but I want agency operators/owners/Etc. out there know that they should face the reality; Either you groom new talent from scratch or you must pay a hefty salary plus a high split if you want producers with experience (Which are hard to find anyway). There is no other way to grow your business; Some may say "yeah, they learn the business, Then they will leave to open their own shop" Sure, that is always a risk, So it's driving to your job everyday,as well as dying from some sudden disease but what if that's not the case, And even if it does, you made money along the way regardless; I know eventually someone out there will give me a shot. But i just want agency operators to be a little more open minded when evaluating candidates, Sometimes is better to get someone from a different industry (who may bring a different & positive perspective) that is willing to learn to do things your way; Rather than get someone else's problems. :idea:

Last edited:
You are making the rookie assumptions. Being licensed does not mean they will hire you with open arms. You are showing that you are more interested in staying where you are. You are not showing that you are hungry for success, recognition. In any type of job interview, it is always hard to get over the why you want to leave your current career. While I like the honesty of what you writing here, you have to present career burnout in a positive way.
Also Insurance is a tough business. If you are complaining about it even before getting hired, it is not going to be easy for you.

You are making the rookie assumptions. Being licensed does not mean they will hire you with open arms. You are showing that you are more interested in staying where you are. You are not showing that you are hungry for success, recognition. In any type of job interview, it is always hard to get over the why you want to leave your current career. While I like the honesty of what you writing here, you have to present career burnout in a positive way.
Also Insurance is a tough business. If you are complaining about it even before getting hired, it is not going to be easy for you.

I am not making ANY assumptions, I am simply stating my experience based on the facts. I think it behooves the fact that anyone that has been making a living in commissioned based sales over 15 years shouldn't have an issue in creating value for an employer and bringing in the numbers, There is nothing wrong with leaping into a new career to energize your blood; Recognition means nothing without the numbers to back it up. As we learn in business, You are as good as your last deal,Not trying to be cocky or anything but in the end, Sales volume and deals closed will show who's got the bigger fist. I guess there is only one way to find out.:cool:

Many insurance companies looking for you with your experience, a few to mention are;
Torres Insurance Agency, Marsh and McLennan Agency, and various banks also like Wells Fargo.
Good luck, Mary

I really appreciate your encouragement and suggestions. It's always refreshing to hear positive feedback from experienced professionals instead of the usual negative banter. Will follow through on your suggestions.

Thank You !!!

Back