Turning 65 & Social Security Disability - Do You Lose Current Health Coverage ?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
When you are on Social Security Disability and you turn 65, what situations do you lose your current health coverage ?

1. Do employer group type plans discontinue in this situation ?

2. If on medicare, wouldn't that plan continue after 65 ?

3. I assumed she was on medicare, is it possible she is not on medicare as not being on disability long enough ?

Background:

I have a lady that was on social security disability and she turned 65 and goes on regular social security.

She says she lost her coverage because she is on regular social security and not SSDI anymore, is that correct ?

Note:

Please e-mail me direct if you prefer.

Last edited:
When you are on Social Security Disability and you turn 65, what situations do you lose your current health coverage ? 1. Do employer group type plans discontinue in this situation ? 2. If on medicare, wouldn't that plan continue after 65 ? 3. I assumed she was on medicare, is it possible she is not on medicare as not being on disability long enough ? Background: I have a lady that was on social security disability and she turned 65 and goes on regular social security. She says she lost her coverage because she is on regular social security and not SSDI anymore, is that correct ?
Medicare continue if enrolled. IEP2 for MA and PDP. OE for med supps. If not on Medicare, IEP and OE. Change in employer coverage depends on other factors, including number of employees, employment status.

Let me strongly suggest the OP read both the Medicare and You and the Guide to Medigap plans from the Medicare website.

Many of these types of questions are answered there.

Also, there is a terrific association he can join with great training and webinars. I'd mention the name but then this could be considered an offer.

Rick

Medicare continue if enrolled. IEP2 for MA and PDP. OE for med supps. If not on Medicare, IEP and OE.

If she is on SSDI and already on a MAPD or med supp., would she lose those for any reason at 65 ?

Does turning 65 knock a SSDI recipient off of a current MAPD or supp ?

I am trying to figure out why she lost her coverage.

Change in employer coverage depends on other factors, including number of employees, employment status.

So she could have lost coverage because of being on employer coverage and turning 65 ?

If she is on SSDI and already on a MAPD or med supp., would she lose those for any reason at 65 ? Does turning 65 knock a SSDI recipient off of a current MAPD or supp ? I am trying to figure out why she lost her coverage. So she could have lost coverage because of being on employer coverage and turning 65 ?
Turning 65 would not cause her to lose an MA or med supp she already has, but if she has a med supp she should use her new OE to get its price way down.

Turning 65 would not usually cause an EGHP to terminate. Medicare would be primary, EGHP secondary, for a disabled person if employer has 100 or more employers opposed to 20 or more if not disabled).

Disability, EGHP, and Medicare are more complicated when they mix. Definitely important to have her check with the EGHP benefits administrator.

Turning 65 would not cause her to lose an MA or med supp she already has, but if she has a med supp she should use her new OE to get its price way down.

So the med supp disability plans are expensive ?

Turning 65 would not usually cause an EGHP to terminate. Medicare would be primary, EGHP secondary, for a disabled person if employer has 100 or more employers opposed to 20 or more if not disabled).

I wonder why she lost her health insurance then ?

I will have to ask her why she lost it.

It doesn't add up that it was becuae of going on regular social security at 65 as the reason she lost it.

Disability, EGHP, and Medicare are more complicated when they mix. Definitely important to have her check with the EGHP benefits administrator.

Maybe the EGHP has a policy to discontinue at 65 ?

So the med supp disability plans are expensive ? I wonder why she lost her health insurance then ? I will have to ask her why she lost it. It doesn't add up that it was becuae of going on regular social security at 65 as the reason she lost it. Maybe the EGHP has a policy to discontinue at 65 ?
Under 65 med supps are more expensive than 65 and older, if they're available at all.
Regarding the EGHP, again have her check with plan admin. Collecting SS benefits alone does not trigger a plan termination as far as I know.

Back