Typical Schedule

I rarely work Saturday's or Sunday's any more. Will do paper work, email, etc PM & weekends but do not make client calls. Sometimes I give clients & prospects my private cell for PM & weekends but I do so with discretion.

I advised myself with a simple plan starting out. I was going to make this a 40 hour a week job, whether it was cold calling, leads, mailing letters, calling current clients on the tiny agency that AIG gave me, etc.

The significance of the 40 hours, was that most of the guys working out of my office were not really doing a whole lot of anything, and had been that way for years. It took me about 1 - 1.5 years of concentrating on this solid 40 hour work week before I was actually working 40 hours either writing apps or following up on pending, or returning client's calls etc.

It eventually turned into 50 hours and I'm still never caught up. The same thing will happen to you if you want it. If I take an afternoon off, which is very rare, I will have numerous emails and phone calls to return and have to make the time up.

I advised myself with a simple plan starting out. I was going to make this a 40 hour a week job, whether it was cold calling, leads, mailing letters, calling current clients on the tiny agency that AIG gave me, etc.

The significance of the 40 hours, was that most of the guys working out of my office were not really doing a whole lot of anything, and had been that way for years. It took me about 1 - 1.5 years of concentrating on this solid 40 hour work week before I was actually working 40 hours either writing apps or following up on pending, or returning client's calls etc.

It eventually turned into 50 hours and I'm still never caught up. The same thing will happen to you if you want it. If I take an afternoon off, which is very rare, I will have numerous emails and phone calls to return and have to make the time up.

Sounds like you're doing good and need some help.:skeptical:

I usually start at 8:30 til whenever...sometimes it's early afternoon.....most of the time later.

I average 3-5 phone calls to my office per day. Use to get more, but automatic-claim-filing took care of most of that...........

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing good and need some help.:skeptical:

I usually start at 8:30 til whenever...sometimes it's early afternoon.....most of the time later.

I average 3-5 phone calls to my office per day. Use to get more, but automatic-claim-filing took care of most of that...........

Well, I do have help, but my problem is agency management. I have a homegrown system, that is just not up to par, and I don't have the time to change it. I am going to get a pre-packaged deal after the first of the year. This is my top priority.

I spent all of my time on sales, and let my assistant do everything else, and you know what happens. You end of with so many clients, that following up on their requests and making sure that everyone gets a b'day card, thank you note, holiday card, acknowledging policy renewals, etc. becomes more of a $$ maker than acquiring new peeps thru leads, but you have to have the right system in place. My assistant has to work with a piece meal, bass ackwards system that I created and is more for someone with 100 clients, than a fairly large agency.

I screwed up, relying on myself too much. I actually am happy when a client cancels an appointment, that is messed up and I know it.

Last edited:
Well, I do have help, but my problem is agency management. I have a homegrown system, that is just not up to par, and I don't have the time to change it. I am going to get a pre-packaged deal after the first of the year. This is my top priority.

I spent all of my time on sales, and let my assistant do everything else, and you know what happens. You end of with so many clients, that following up on their requests and making sure that everyone gets a b'day card, thank you note, holiday card, acknowledging policy renewals, etc. becomes more of a $$ maker than acquiring new peeps thru leads, but you have to have the right system in place. My assistant has to work with a piece meal, bass ackwards system that I created and is more for someone with 100 clients, than a fairly large agency.

I screwed up, relying on myself too much. I actually am happy when a client cancels and appointment, that is messed up and I know it.

Sounds like you're real limited on available time.

I could do more in my business for the customers...problem is available funds. I always get back with them when they call and always service the customers. Really helps get referrals. Folks appreciate good service.

What are your typical work schedules? How many hours per day, days per week? Also, how does that compare to when you were just starting out? Thanks for the info.

You would not believe me if I told you the answer. Those that know me, know my answer.

I work a lot of hours. In my work, I can multi task. I can work and have fun at the same time.

I can't believe that I get paid to talk and help people.

I enjoy what I do, and it provides for my family and me.

The more you work, the more it will pay off for you.

I think that most of the successful agents on the forum at least spend 40 hours plus a week. But as your business grows, you can slow down. It really depends on how much money you need or want.

I see a lot of agent not making it in this business that spend less then 10 hours a week trying to be in this business and they don't understand why they don't make it.

Back