U.S. to set up plan allowing prescription meds from Canada

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
U.S. to set up plan allowing prescription meds from Canada

The move is a step toward fulfilling a 2016 campaign promise by President Donald Trump, and it weakens an import ban that stood as a symbol of the political clout of the pharmaceutical industry. It's unclear how soon consumers will see benefits, as the plan has to go through time-consuming regulatory approval and later could face court challenges from drugmakers.

The drug industry lobby, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, has successfully blocked past efforts in Washington to allow importation. It argues patients would be at risk of receiving counterfeit or adulterated medications.

I have personally used med's from Canada as well as recommending Canadian pharmacy's to clients for at least 15 years.

No one has died yet.

I’m confused, did they not allow it before? I’ve had dozens of clients purchase from Canada.

Postal inspectors are supposed to check packages originating outside the US unless marked as "medication" or something like that.

I only know one client who did not receive their medication because it was confiscated. That only happened once.

Why does FDA prohibit buying medicine from pharmacies outside of the US? | National Association of Boards of Pharmacy

Florida Stores Help Consumers Buy Imported Drugs Despite Federal Ban

I’m confused, did they not allow it before? I’ve had dozens of clients purchase from Canada.

As I've indicated in other threads, I've purchased from both ProgressiveRX in US and some Canadian pharmacies. The ProgressiveRX purchase was shipped from India (where one of the upcoming US approved generics for the drug will be made). With the Canadian purchases I've bought versions of the drug manufactured in India and manufactured in Europe and Turkey packaging and quantities geared to the British market.

Shipment quantities for an approximate 90 day supply will vary between 90 Pills, 100 Pills, 84 Pills, or 112 Pills depending on the particular pharmacy, shipper, and market for which the product is being packaged.

Technically, I believe that US citizens are not allowed to buy prescription drugs from overseas. In practice, US customs seems to have a practice of allowing a 90 day supply to come through. In the ProgressiveRX packaging, the pills are always accompanied by a copy of the prescription.

The vendors do indicate that purchasers may experience some delay for customs. I haven't kept a log for shipping times, I just expect 4-5 weeks in the normal course of events. Sometime in the last 18 months I have had one package that I finally assumed had been stolen or not shipped. Instead of a "normal" 4-6 weeks, it did finally show up after 8-10 weeks and the box had been opened. I can only assume that one made a customs detour.

The quantity limits are a pain, both because of per pill price and shipping charges. Since a 90 day supply of this med is 90 pills and a number of the Indian manufacturers package it in blister packs of 10, the close to 90 day allowed order is 100 pills. For the 100 pill price plus $10 shipping. The same pharmacy, using the same manufacturer also quotes a 200 pill price, which is cheaper per pill and would save one shipping charge, but doing a 6 month order is not allowed.

I suspect there would be some advantage to the consumer by having a legally allowed process rather than an illegal look the other way process.

Has anyone been fined, jailed, deported or tortured for buying (legal) drugs from Canada?

I know a lot of people who use Canadian pharmacies. I don't know of any one of them having a bad experience buying from them. Most speak highly of the Canadian pharmacy they use, and I've never heard of any of them having legal problems with it.

I know a lot of people who use Canadian pharmacies. I don't know of any one of them having a bad experience buying from them. Most speak highly of the Canadian pharmacy they use, and I've never heard of any of them having legal problems with it.

Me either.

Just a jab at Justin to see if the FDA is all bluff or if they have some teeth on this issue.

Back