Uber Ride Share Insurance doesn't cover Medical Costs, Lost Wages

mactube

Expert
I think its important for all Uber Drivers to know, that if you get in an accident within the phase that is covered ( on the way to pick up a passenger / passenger in the picked up ) by Uber's Insurance ( for California that would be James Rivers Insurance ) Medical bills are not covered, James Rivers also doesn't cover lost wages.

This is according to a representative of the insurance when I talked to them on the phone.

Not sure if that is even fair or legal to exclude such basics out of a policy !?

I think its important for all Uber Drivers to know, that if you get in an accident within the phase that is covered ( on the way to pick up a passenger / passenger in the picked up ) by Uber's Insurance ( for California that would be James Rivers Insurance ) Medical bills are not covered, James Rivers also doesn't cover lost wages.

This is according to a representative of the insurance when I talked to them on the phone.

Not sure if that is even fair or legal to exclude such basics out of a policy !?

Now is this for the driver or the passenger......

I can only speak for the drivers point of view.

If you weren't driving for Uber, your car insurance wouldn't cover this either. Broadly and over-simplified, car insurance covers liability to others and physical damage to your vehicle. It does not cover your lost wages or medical bills when you are at fault. When the other driver is at fault, then these would fall under bodily injury liability on the at fault driver's policy. Under-insured motorist coverage on your policy would then kick in should it exceed the limits on the at fault driver's policy.

If you were an employee of Uber, then their Worker's Comp would cover medical bills and lost wages for a work related injury or illness. However, since you are a 1099, there is no such coverage.

Also if you had disability insurance, then it would cover lost wages for a covered injury or illness. Additionally, health insurance will cover medical bills.

As always, these are generalizations, read the specific policy to see what is and what is not covered.

Uber and Lyft drivers may have other non-auto exposures. I read on Lyft's web site, where they have an area touting how nice their drivers are, about drivers that went inside with passengers at the grocery store or helped them put up groceries at home. One guy provided snacks for customers. With UberEats, you have the possibility of a product liability claim. And the list goes on. Many of these drivers have a business exposure that might warrant CGL or BOP coverage. This is true of many activities in the emerging "sharing or gig economy" where rapidly increasing numbers of individuals are operating as independent business people. Probably not 1 in 100 is addressing these risks.

Uber and Lyft drivers may have other non-auto exposures. I read on Lyft's web site, where they have an area touting how nice their drivers are, about drivers that went inside with passengers at the grocery store or helped them put up groceries at home. One guy provided snacks for customers. With UberEats, you have the possibility of a product liability claim. And the list goes on. Many of these drivers have a business exposure that might warrant CGL or BOP coverage. This is true of many activities in the emerging "sharing or gig economy" where rapidly increasing numbers of individuals are operating as independent business people. Probably not 1 in 100 is addressing these risks.

I'm sure they are covering it just as well as all the delivery driver's have for years.

Latest posts

Back