UHC Bringing Back Fitness in Many States

FLM2

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Just received an email from UHC that they are bringing back fitness as part of MAPD in a 9 states (including Florida) for 2018.

It won't be Silver Sneakers, it's called-

Optum Fitness Advantage - Coming to a Plan Near You!

It’s competitive; it’s tested; it’s ready for prime time! Optum Fitness Advantage will be available with many UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage (MA) plans in nine new states (Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, New York, Texas (specifically Austin, Houston and San Antonio) and Wisconsin) for 2018.* Members will have access to a variety of fitness clubs at no additional cost in line with their previous fitness benefit. The good news is that we will continue to build this benefit for consumers over the next few years to provide a superior experience with UnitedHealthcare.

Highlights for members

Continue to have flexibility to exercise and participate in group classes at multiple fitness centers in their areas, rather than being restricted to membership at just one fitness center

New upscale fitness centers that have historically not been part of these types of programs (i.e. Lifetime Fitness); continuing to build the network
Connection between Optum and UnitedHealthcare ensuring data for a holistic member experience and streamlined communications

Streamlined UnitedHealthcare call center member experience – members simply call the number on the back of their UnitedHealthcare membership cards with questions

The nine states mentioned join New Jersey and Washington, which rolled out Optum Fitness Advantage benefits in 2017. Optum Fitness Advantage contributed to higher health and wellness benefit Net Promoter Scores (NPS) this year.

I checked my local network and it's pretty good although it doesn't have the local Y (but does have LA Fitness)

It isn't the same in Kentucky. I was using Planet Fitness at no cost to me. Eff 1/1/2018, with Optum Fitness, will have to pay $99 for my no cost membership. They charge 50% basic monthly amount and charge the $39 annual fee for Optum Fitness senior customers. Per one location, Optum only pays half of the membership while Silver Sneakers was paying full amount, so they are charging the difference to the customer. PF is listed on the Optum site as providing the membership at no cost, they just don't honor it.

PF are listed on their website that list gyms that participate and yet they don't. I only posted to indicate they are not compatible with Silver Sneakers. I can even figure out to try another gym, even UHC suggested I try a different gym. I suggested they may want to remove gyms from their participation list that don't in fact participate. I'll refrain from posting in the future.

Update to my post, I filed a "complaint" to Optum via UHC (because UHC CSRs handle questions about Optum Fitness), they contacted Planet Fitness and explained they had to offer a basic membership at no charge to be a participating gym. PF have updated their process and I am back at PF at no charge. As for UHC, first CSR was a waste, told me to change gyms, didn't care about inaccurate website or advertising materials. Second rep, Christina, was awesome and handled everything in a very professional manner.

It always amazes me why these gym memberships attached to Advantage plans are sooo important to people. Duhh. Youre buying a health plan, not a gym membership. Stoopid.

Why is it "Stoopid"? I buy a plan based on coverage and benefits, I do my due diligence. I joined a gym last year because of Silver Sneakers. UHC informed their customers they were switching to Optum Fitness and it was the same, providing free gym memberships. Turns out it wasn't the same so they were falsely marketing benefits (they have corrected). That is wrong. I buy a car and pay for a radio installed, I expect the radio. I bought the plan based on the coverage, not a gym membership. However, when they tell me I also get a free membership, I think it is stupid to pay for the same gym membership I am told I will get for free. It is included in the plan I pay for.

Latest posts

Back