UHC Supplement Underwriting

XpressInsurance

Super Genius
Midwest
I would like some agent input on UHC underwriting. How are they compared to other carriers? Diabetes? Medication accepted? I have not seen a lot of information about what they will most like take. The agent guides are not the best. The underwriters don't want to speak to agents to pre-qualify. I really hate to just submit paper application without reasonable expectation it will be approved.

I have written lot of MAPD plans over years with UHC but very few supplements. The supplements are starting to get competitive in a few of the states I write in. Please let me know your thoughts.

I would like some agent input on UHC underwriting. How are they compared to other carriers? Diabetes? Medication accepted? I have not seen a lot of information about what they will most like take. The agent guides are not the best. The underwriters don't want to speak to agents to pre-qualify. I really hate to just submit paper application without reasonable expectation it will be approved.

I have written lot of MAPD plans over years with UHC but very few supplements. The supplements are starting to get competitive in a few of the states I write in. Please let me know your thoughts.

If they have nothing to say yes to on the App, most of the time approved as is, I have only a couple of times had an issue,

1 time a lady was trying to hide a kidney issue but the other guy was taking maintenance med for stent over 5 years ago but they said that med was for CHF.I don't remember the med now but it was one I have seen many times, We tried to appeal but it was taking too long at end of ADP

I have written a couple hundred policies with them because when I started I did a lot of NY and FL buis, I have had only a couple issues, 99 % of the time issues right away, However when there is an issue its hard to communicate with them to find out what the issue is, They like to mail to client and keep agent out of it

UHC Supplement boast that it has a 15% discount. What they don't tell you is that 3% of that discount is added back to the premium each year for the next 5 years. This is on top of increases in premium due to age and the rising cost of medical services. I wished it weren't so since they have come out with a G Plan. I personally can't sell anything without full disclosure, and that's hard to sell when compared to other companies.

I have submitted several apps to UHC for supplements on a prayer. I actually had them issue a policy to a guy who had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I told him before we sent it in that they would probably deny it. They didn't even rate him up. They are, however, a pain to work with when it comes to issues with applications. I check on any apps I have with them almost daily until issue, because they don't update agents.

UHC Supplement boast that it has a 15% discount. What they don't tell you is that 3% of that discount is added back to the premium each year for the next 5 years. This is on top of increases in premium due to age and the rising cost of medical services. I wished it weren't so since they have come out with a G Plan. I personally can't sell anything without full disclosure, and that's hard to sell when compared to other companies.

Depends on the state. They have the smallest rate increases here in FL and up until this year, were always the cheapest for T65’s. They usually have a 0-3% increase. And now lifetime renewals.
They also have the easiest underwriting as well.

Any feedback on Medications? How are they on occasional pain meds? That seems to be a problem with lot of carriers over last few years.

They do a script check. If drug doesn't relate to questions on app they could care less. Parkinson, rheumatoid, on home health all group 1 rates. True yes/no app. Only health questions asked matter anything not on app is fair game.
For years we loaded them with kidney transplant patients . They finally figured it out and put every question imaginable about kidneys last July.

Haha, that sounds like something straight from a telemarketing script.

So do you actually understand how this all works? Because you post above was... lacking in accuracy.

Back