Unauthorized Person Made a Claim on my Policy

arb

I have a young adult son. I have a car titled in my name only that he is the primary driver of. I have an auto insurance policy in my name that he is included on as an additional driver.

On Friday, my son was involved in a minor accident. There were no other people or property involved except for his car. Prior to making a claim, I wanted to get an estimate to determine how extensive the damage was and if it could be paid out of pocket or if we would need to make a claim. I asked my son to take the car to a body shop to get an estimate of the damages.

This weekend he was visiting his father (who's name has never been on the car or the insurance policy) and he saw the damage to the vehicle and thought a claim needed to be made. So he contacted MY insurance company and opened a claim on the car that is in MY name. Since his name is not and never has been on my insurance policy, I can only assume that when he contacted the company he lied about his identity and claimed to be my son.

What should I do now? Should I contact my insurance company and tell them the claim was opened by an unauthorized person? Will they be able to include a PIN or 'secret word' for additional verification since my son's dad knows all the general information they request to verify identity - address, birthday, etc.

Should I call and request that they close the claim with no payout? But then if I find out via an estimate that the damage is more extensive than we suspect, I will want to make a claim.

Should I just 'suck it up' and accept the claim was made since there is damage to the car?

Although I would have preferred that there was no claim made, the bigger issue to me was that he was able to do this and I would like to ensure that something like this does not happen again. I feel very violated that someone whose name does not appear on my policy was able to make a claim.

I had this happen once before with a client. We had to request customer service and claims to use a security code. As far as the claim it was closed at the actual policy holders request. The body shop did no work and they paid cash at another facility that was cheaper. The damage was $750 and their deductible would have been $500 anyway.

Just leave it alone at this point.

The ins. co. already knows about the claim so closing it wont do any
good now.

... So he contacted MY insurance company and opened a claim on the car that is in MY name. ..
.Although I would have preferred that there was no claim made, the bigger issue to me was that he was able to do this and I would like to ensure that something like this does not happen again. I feel very violated that someone whose name does not appear on my policy was able to make a claim.

1st, I agree with you, I'd be upset as well. I'd get an estimate of the damage and if you want to report it then you should report it yourself or your son. Double check w/your son in making sure it wasn't him that called it in. I'm sure the conversation was recorded with the insurance co. If you don't want it reported (because it will show up as a loss but no processed claim) you should contact your agent & tell her/him what happened & you want the report removed. It seems like you might have further options, but that's another topic.

2nd be weary of some posters on here that hide behind usernames w/ no identity and or any proof that they are actually qualified to comment.

Just leave it alone at this point.

The ins. co. already knows about the claim so closing it wont do any
good now.

2nd be weary of some posters on here that hide behind usernames w/ no identity and or any proof that they are actually qualified to comment.

If you mean me, too bad. I worked at Allstate as long as you did.

And to think I defended you in that other thread where everyone called
you every name in the book.

So, strangely enough, anyone can make a claim on an auto policy. There is no such thing as an 'unauthorized' claim. I know this doesn't help, but heck, even I could call and open a claim against your auto policy, if I had some basic information.

The insurance company will then proceed by contacting both you and the driver to obtain the facts of the claim. They can close it out if you want, put it on hold, whatever. They have heard it all before and they don't care if you want to take a day or 2 and get your own estimate. They will care if it takes very long though, since it affects their claim resolution.

You can close the claim and then reopen it later, if you prefer. This is usually not a good idea, if you are going to get an estimate, get it done or even let the insurance company do it and then go from there.

Also, politely (or not so politely) tell 'dad' to not teach your son how to file an insurance claim to pocket the check, while 'mom' doesn't know anything about it. It doesn't work out very well.

Dan

I didn't know any can file a claim on your policy. I guess the carrier would want all incidents you are involved in whether you want them to know or not. Is this the reasoning? Can't a claim have an impact on your premium when you are shopping for insurance, whether there was a payout or not?

Back