Undecided About Getting Started in Insurance

mr.wunderful

I am 65 and retired in 11/2012. I have been looking recently at getting into something partime that will satisfy me and provide a decent source of income $25 to $30K per year. I have attended a couple of agency training sessions on life and health insurance. Do I really have enough time to learn what is necessary to be able to sell primarily health related insurance? The more learn the more I realize there is a lot more to learn. Should I make the jump?

I am 65 and retired in 11/2012. I have been looking recently at getting into something partime that will satisfy me and provide a decent source of income $25 to $30K per year. I have attended a couple of agency training sessions on life and health insurance. Do I really have enough time to learn what is necessary to be able to sell primarily health related insurance? The more learn the more I realize there is a lot more to learn. Should I make the jump?

No, it would be a terrible time to jump into the health field. Plus, working part-time, you would not come anywhere close to your income goals.
Take a look at life sales. It, too, will be extremely difficult to hit your income goals on a part-time basis, but at least you may have a fighting chance. It really comes down to how much you want to put into this new career at your current stage in life.
Best of luck with whichever path you choose.

No, it would be a terrible time to jump into the health field. Plus, working part-time, you would not come anywhere close to your income goals.
Take a look at life sales. It, too, will be extremely difficult to hit your income goals on a part-time basis, but at least you may have a fighting chance. It really comes down to how much you want to put into this new career at your current stage in life.
Best of luck with whichever path you choose.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your honesty.

I kinda agree with mr. wunderful (I feel a little funny even typing his screen name). He gives good honest advice but I dont 100% agree. Is it possible to make that kind of money part time in life and health insurance.....yes it is, but its not easy to start. I have some part time agents that do, but I have had agents in the past that were not able to do it. It really is going to boil down to putting in the study time to learn the products. Contracts have quite a bit to do with it as well. I personally think that it is the best time to get into selling health insurance where most think I am crazy. If you had the resources to drum up your own business I would give you a General Agent contract and you wouldnt have to share commissions if that would help. Where it get tough to do part time is factoring in marketing cost. If you think you could write 4 per month on your own Ill give you a contract. 4 per month would make you $30,000 per year

Back