Undecided: MA or Med Supp??

policy doctor

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just came across this website which I thought had some great articles.

Also, I liked the matrix they used to compare Medicare options. Seems like an easy way to help someone decide.

Bob, I think you have to remember who the audience is. If you were on Medicare, didn't sell insurance, and were trying to figure out what your options were, I think you would appreciate having it broken down so it was that easy to understand.

One sure couldn't read the Medicare Guide book and come away knowing that much about the options that are available.

I break it down in very simple terms when I go on an appointment and prospects constantly tell me that I was the first agent they have talked to who explained it so they were able to understand it.

Bob, I think you have to remember who the audience is. If you were on Medicare, didn't sell insurance, and were trying to figure out what your options were, I think you would appreciate having it broken down so it was that easy to understand.

One sure couldn't read the Medicare Guide book and come away knowing that much about the options that are available.

I break it down in very simple terms when I go on an appointment and prospects constantly tell me that I was the first agent they have talked to who explained it so they were able to understand it.

I totally agree with you about simple terms -- and I think the website is just what a senior needs

for example -- my last appointment this afternoon -- i went to see this lady and she had a friend of hers there with her -- they are both 71 and widowed... she was paying 198 a month for her medsup ( which actually for her age isnt that bad ) -- but she was ready to drop it because the rate went up 28 dollars this year -- the friend was so amazed at how i put all of this info in ( Mary's terms) -- simple and all drawn out -- all I heard was Mary how do you know all of this stuff and remember? ETC ETC
anyways i switched her to a UCT medsup - changed her rate to 100.33 a month for plan F -- she didn't understand how or why the rates change...

these seniors have so much info thrown at them and they don't know where to turn and what to do ---- totally confused

anything that is simplistic is wonderful
Doc great post!!

Frank, do you use any kind of brochure (non-company) or other visuals that help you explain Med Supps and Med Advantage plans ?
Thanks,
Bill

The problem that I have run across is that agents will sell one or the other. They will pitch the MA plan and not talk about supps or the other way around.

I use a legal pad and write down what A, B, C, and D are. Then I tell them about the supp plan that will cover A+B (depending on the plan), and then talk about a stand alone D plan.

Then I tell them about part C, which is a primary plan (still have Medicare but goes on the back burner to fund the policy) and they follow the new coverage guidelines. Like traditonal group (employer) insurance. The group (Medicare) funds the plan to keep costs down (if any premium at all). Then you follow the plans structure.

That normally gets them on the same page as me.

Frank, do you use any kind of brochure (non-company) or other visuals that help you explain Med Supps and Med Advantage plans ?
Thanks,
Bill

I don't have anything special that I use. If it is a Med Supp I only show them the benefits D has. I don't use a "book" that has all the plans. If they tell me they either have an F or want an F then I pull out the part A and part B benefits of F and show them the difference.

If I'm showing them an Advantage plan I will use what Pyramid provides me with but I will have the main points highlighted before I arrive.

I also use a "Big Chief tablet and a sharp crayon" to show them the advantages and disadvantages between the two.

When I leave I put it all in a manila folder with my name and phone number on it and tell them that "this is your insurance folder". I have gone back to the same client years later and they still have their "insurance folder".

If I'm showing them an Advantage plan I will use what Pyramid provides me with but I will have the main points highlighted before I arrive.
Frank -

Be careful with defacing any part of an MA brochure. This is against CMS rules and regulations. You cannot modify any part of the material.

Back