Underinsured claim

Jo1207

I was recently in an accident with an at fault driver. So far I've had one surgery and getting ready to have a second. My medical bills are already starting to pile up. I live in Tennessee and was wondering how underinsured policies work. My policy is 100,000/300,000. Say for instance her policy is the same as mine, would I only be able to collect up to 100,000 or would I be able to make a claim on my underinsured for 100,000 for a total of 200,000. I'm not saying my case would require that much but I don't understand how all of this works. Luckily I have never had to deal with this before.

would I only be able to collect up to 100,000 or would I be able to make a claim on my underinsured for 100,000 for a total of 200,000.

You would have to read your Underinsured Motorists coverage part to answer that question.

Don't rely on anything but what is written in your own policy.

Feel free to scan your UIM coverage part and upload it here for us to take a look at if you like.

If the UM law hasn’t changed in TN, your UM/UIM limit is your maximum recovery, including the liability coverage available from the other party. That’s why I would tell agents providing UM limits equal to state minimum requirements is wasted money 80% of the time because if the other driver has liability coverage, you’d never collect anything under UM/UIM with minimum limits. I haven’t kept up with TN laws for a long time. Maybe VolAgent knows.

Back