Understanding my Deductible/co Insurance/out of Pocket Max.

Mapper

My husband recently left his job and we switched over to my insurance. He was in a bad motorcycle accident about 2 weeks ago and was airlifted to the hospital and spent 6 days there. On our plan, approved inpatient stays are covered subject to a $100 copayment per day, up to a maximum of $300 per admittance. We know that was approved and we only need to pay $300 for his stay. However, we got his airlift bill and it was a whopping $44,000!!! Our plan has a $2,000 individual out of pocket maximum per calendar year and emergency transportation is covered at 80% coinsurance, with us paying 20% coinsurance. Once he reaches this maximum, non-excluded services will be covered at 100% for the remainder of the calendar year.

That would mean with 20% coinsurance we would pay $8800 towards the airlift, but is it right that we should have to pay no more than $2,000 for everything if out of pocket max is $2,000?

On our plan, approved inpatient stays are covered subject to a $100 copayment per day, up to a maximum of $300 per admittance.

first off.....whats the name of the insurance company..........

My husband recently left his job and we switched over to my insurance. He was in a bad motorcycle accident about 2 weeks ago and was airlifted to the hospital and spent 6 days there. On our plan, approved inpatient stays are covered subject to a $100 copayment per day, up to a maximum of $300 per admittance. We know that was approved and we only need to pay $300 for his stay. However, we got his airlift bill and it was a whopping $44,000!!! Our plan has a $2,000 individual out of pocket maximum per calendar year and emergency transportation is covered at 80% coinsurance, with us paying 20% coinsurance. Once he reaches this maximum, non-excluded services will be covered at 100% for the remainder of the calendar year.

That would mean with 20% coinsurance we would pay $8800 towards the airlift, but is it right that we should have to pay no more than $2,000 for everything if out of pocket max is $2,000?

If the Max OOP is $2k then that is all you should have to pay for everything, in total.

You should call your insurance company before asking this question on a public forum, we have none of the information needed other than what you are saying to provide an opinion.

well there are lots of scams out there that claim that they are a group plan but are not.....now....what is the name of the insurance co. on your card.......

That is the name on the card "Group Health". They are a very well known company here.

----------

If the Max OOP is $2k then that is all you should have to pay for everything, in total.

You should call your insurance company before asking this question on a public forum, we have none of the information needed other than what you are saying to provide an opinion.

Yes I have talked to them but I still am not sure I am understanding the coinsurance and OOP correlation. I am just fearing that we will have to pay some portion of the $44000 and then another $2000 OOP due to not understanding something.

That is the name on the card "Group Health". They are a very well known company here.

Yes I have talked to them but I still am not sure I am understanding the coinsurance and OOP correlation. I am just fearing that we will have to pay some portion of the $44000 and then another $2000 OOP due to not understanding something.

https://www1.ghc.org/individual-family

looks legit.......the thing about your airlift bill is I thinking that it could be filed as out of network.....very few air ambulance's are in network.....now if it was a life or death situation can possibly be refiled as in network due to life or death emergency......

looks legit.......the thing about your airlift bill is I thinking that it could be filed as out of network.....very few air ambulance's are in network.....now if it was a life or death situation can possibly be refiled as in network due to life or death emergency......

Yes, well he had a collapsed lung (tube inserted upon arrival at the emergency room) broken/cracked ribs and a cracked sternum. Our hospital stay was out of network as well but due to it being an emergency will be filed as in network.

then you have to make sure that the airlift bill is also being billed and processed as in network......was he by chance in a motorcycle accident......

Yes, well he had a collapsed lung (tube inserted upon arrival at the emergency room) broken/cracked ribs and a cracked sternum. Our hospital stay was out of network as well but due to it being an emergency will be filed as in network.

Back