Underwriting for my Insurance from an Error on Someone Else's Insurance

Brit20k

So about 4 months ago I got insurance for myself for a car I purchased. I had never had insurance prior to that due to me having a car paid off in my mothers name so she just paid for the insurance. Then about 2 years ago I was driving my mothers car to a dr appointment and this car in front of me hit another car in front of them (3 lane highway, middle lane) so I corrected into the right lane to avoid collision (and also managed to avoid hitting a vehicle who was now behind me now being in the right lane from correcting) and as I was getting into the right lane to try and avoid collision, the way the car in front of me in the middle lane had his car swerve into the right lane clipping the front of my car cause of the way he impacted the car in front of him.

The guy didn't have insurance or a drivers license and caused a 4 person wreck. The person who caused the wreck told the officer he blacked out (like any of this matters) no other claims were made on my moms insurance policy other than them fixing her car because the guy didn't have insurance. Now, 2 years later my insurance (in just my name now for the first time) has already been through underwriting because her insurance company put me at fault. I've tried to dispute this with Lexis Nexis and basically was told I need to dispute that with my mothers former insurance company. She's no longer with this company any longer. It's caused my insurance policy to go up and it's extremely frustrating because I don't know how to go about disputing this and I don't have any evidence. I do remember the state trooper saying I was not at fault, but somehow my mothers insurance company said I was at fault. Please help! Thank you.

So about 4 months ago I got insurance for myself for a car I purchased. I had never had insurance prior to that due to me having a car paid off in my mothers name so she just paid for the insurance. Then about 2 years ago I was driving my mothers car to a dr appointment and this car in front of me hit another car in front of them (3 lane highway, middle lane) so I corrected into the right lane to avoid collision (and also managed to avoid hitting a vehicle who was now behind me now being in the right lane from correcting) and as I was getting into the right lane to try and avoid collision, the way the car in front of me in the middle lane had his car swerve into the right lane clipping the front of my car cause of the way he impacted the car in front of him.

The guy didn't have insurance or a drivers license and caused a 4 person wreck. The person who caused the wreck told the officer he blacked out (like any of this matters) no other claims were made on my moms insurance policy other than them fixing her car because the guy didn't have insurance. Now, 2 years later my insurance (in just my name now for the first time) has already been through underwriting because her insurance company put me at fault. I've tried to dispute this with Lexis Nexis and basically was told I need to dispute that with my mothers former insurance company. She's no longer with this company any longer. It's caused my insurance policy to go up and it's extremely frustrating because I don't know how to go about disputing this and I don't have any evidence. I do remember the state trooper saying I was not at fault, but somehow my mothers insurance company said I was at fault. Please help! Thank you.

Your mom's insurance paid a collision claim with you as the driver.

Your mom's insurance paid a collision claim with you as the driver.

I'm aware, but it didn't pay for anyone else's car and it says I hit two people. Which, means it was my fault and they're listing it as me being at fault... But no other claims were paid out to any other driver... I don't get it.

do you have a copy of the police report or can you get one? show it to your agent and they can talk to an underwriter and change the current policy to not at fault.

You were at fault. You failed to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

The guy told the police he blacked out. How is it my fault that I avoided a collision by switching into another lane. The way the guy in front of me impacted the car in front of him, caused his car to hit mine. I didn't hit anyone else. So the way I was at fault, was because I didn't slow down... Instead I got into another lane?

Have your mother speak to that agent and see about getting it corrected. I'm betting the insurance company _attempted_ recovery from the uninsured driver. If so, then they obviously felt he was at fault. I'm not saying they collected anything, only that they probably turned it over to their subrogation department.

If you don't get anywhere, have your mother file a complaint with the Dept of Insurance for your state.

----------

It's not that simple. If it were, you could say this in every accident. Also, there was no indication that the OP's speed was a factor in the loss.

I'm aware, but it didn't pay for anyone else's car and it says I hit two people. Which, means it was my fault and they're listing it as me being at fault... But no other claims were paid out to any other driver... I don't get it.

What I've run in to a few times is that it's not necessarily reported as you being at fault, but they report it is "no disposition". Your new insurance company looks at that, sees that they didn't report it one way or the other, and basically assumes at fault unless you can prove otherwise.

As another poster recommended, you could use a copy of the police report. If it was due to "no disposition" a letter of explanation from the prior carrier might work too.

You need to convince your moms insurer that you were not at fault then they can change it. As stated try using then police report. The real problem is this. If they change it it can take some time for the record to be changed on your consumer reports. This may haunt you. And some insurance companies will still place you in a higher risk tier just because you had an accident regardless of fault.

Back