Underwriting question

jasperjohns

Super Genius
Florida
Client is on tramadol. When asked why they were not too clear of the reason. I assume I am best listing a reason to avoid carrier calling client. What would be a answer that would keep the red flags to a minimum? No other meds or issues were too concerning applying for standard with company due to copd.

Client is on tramadol. When asked why they were not too clear of the reason. I assume I am best listing a reason to avoid carrier calling client. What would be a answer that would keep the red flags to a minimum? No other meds or issues were too concerning applying for standard with company due to copd.
Tramadol
Common brands: Ultram, ConZip
Narcotic
It can treat moderate to severe pain.
Controlled substance
High risk for addiction and dependence. Can cause respiratory distress and death when taken in high doses or when combined with other substances, especially alcohol.

I'd call COPD an issue. :yes:

I'm surprized the Dr. would prescribe Tramadol to somebody with COPD. :shocked:

Well the carrier has said they can qualify for standard with Copd. And the rx is not on the auto decline list so I'm again just wondering if I should not reference why they are taking it or if I do list something. what can I list that would not raise flags and generate a call to client.

Well the carrier has said they can qualify for standard with Copd. And the rx is not on the auto decline list so I'm again just wondering if I should not reference why they are taking it or if I do list something. what can I list that would not raise flags and generate a call to client.
Of course. They're going to want to know why the prospect's taking the Tramadol. Find out now. Also find out if the prospect's on oxygen. If so, I doubt you can get anything but GI FE.

What I was surprized about was that the Dr. would prescribe a medication to somebody with COPD that can cause problems for somebody with COPD.

When taking the app you want to find out the reason the applicant is taking each medication. When they are doing a phone interview if they claim they don’t know why they take something they will be declined most of the time. The underwriter will just have to default to the WORST reason the Med can be prescribed.

Companies have to assume that someone who takes a medication and doesn’t know why is either lying because the reason would get them declined or really doesn’t know which means this person is not proactive in their healthcare. Neither of those is going to help you get approved.

If I’m the agent and they say they don’t know why they take something I’m going to look up the common reasons it’s prescribed on Web MD or a similar site. Then I’m going to say That RX can be prescribed for high blood pressure, congestive heart failure or as a blood thinner for maintenance after a stroke. Have you ever been told you have ...?

Narrow it down. Start from the worst to the answer you would like to hear. If they have congestive heart failure you need to get it out in the open.

If they take it for HBP you need to drum into their head to never say I don’t know on a phone interview. They do know. It’s for high blood pressure.

If they are taking an RX for pain, and it’s not a knockout don’t look further. No company declines for pain. There is no question on any application that asks are you in pain? If you are looking for answers to questions that aren’t even asked, you are going too far. FE companies don’t ask about chicken pox. Because they don’t care about that. Same with any health condition they don’t ask about.

Back pain?
Thyroid problems?
Lou Gehrig’s Disease?

Does the app ask about it? If not, it’s no issue at all with FE underwriting.

For extra credit I threw Lou Gehrig’s Disease in there because it’s a decline with most companies. But there is one that never mentions it. And they will accept it preferred all day long. The application questions are your guide.

When taking the app you want to find out the reason the applicant is taking each medication. When they are doing a phone interview if they claim they don’t know why they take something they will be declined most of the time. The underwriter will just have to default to the WORST reason the Med can be prescribed.

Companies have to assume that someone who takes a medication and doesn’t know why is either lying because the reason would get them declined or really doesn’t know which means this person is not proactive in their healthcare. Neither of those is going to help you get approved.

If I’m the agent and they say they don’t know why they take something I’m going to look up the common reasons it’s prescribed on Web MD or a similar site. Then I’m going to say That RX can be prescribed for high blood pressure, congestive heart failure or as a blood thinner for maintenance after a stroke. Have you ever been told you have ...?

Narrow it down. Start from the worst to the answer you would like to hear. If they have congestive heart failure you need to get it out in the open.

If they take it for HBP you need to drum into their head to never say I don’t know on a phone interview. They do know. It’s for high blood pressure.

If they are taking an RX for pain, and it’s not a knockout don’t look further. No company declines for pain. There is no question on any application that asks are you in pain? If you are looking for answers to questions that aren’t even asked, you are going too far. FE companies don’t ask about chicken pox. Because they don’t care about that. Same with any health condition they don’t ask about.

Back pain?
Thyroid problems?
Lou Gehrig’s Disease?

Does the app ask about it? If not, it’s no issue at all with FE underwriting.

For extra credit I threw Lou Gehrig’s Disease in there because it’s a decline with most companies. But there is one that never mentions it. And they will accept it preferred all day long. The application questions are your guide.

Who takes Lou Gherig level?

Back