Underwriting Variations

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
With FE companies, there can be a great differences from one company to the next as to what medical conditions they will accept. Is this the case with the med supp companies or are most of them pretty much the same.

It depends on how much your client is willing to pay.

Carriers like UHC and Cigna (special risk) will take cases no one else will touch. The rate is considerably higher than preferred or standard rates but if someone wants to pay the price they can get coverage.

Down from the stratosphere some carriers are more liberal on aFib than others. Same for insulin diabetics.

It depends on how much your client is willing to pay.

Carriers like UHC and Cigna (special risk) will take cases no one else will touch. The rate is considerably higher than preferred or standard rates but if someone wants to pay the price they can get coverage.

Down from the stratosphere some carriers are more liberal on aFib than others. Same for insulin diabetics.
Where does Western United fit in?

Can't say if they have a niche or not. Haven't used them that much but I did move a number of folks to MLIC when Equitable blew up.

I prescreen heavily before moving anyone. Don't spend much time hunting for a carrier when someone is borderline unhealthy. Have found that to be a time waster.

Can't say if they have a niche or not. Haven't used them that much but I did move a number of folks to MLIC when Equitable blew up.

I prescreen heavily before moving anyone. Don't spend much time hunting for a carrier when someone is borderline unhealthy. Have found that to be a time waster.
Right now, Western United is one of the lowest premium providers, often the lowest in YN but I was wondering how their underwriting compared to others.

WULA appears to be following the same pattern as MLIC in Georgia. Assuming their underwriting is the same, this is my MLIC experience.

They rarely, if ever, made underwriting calls. Every app I submitted with "no" answers was approved. Most within a couple of days of submit.

About a year before MLIC pulled out of GA (and replcaced by WULA) they offered a bonus of $125 per underwritten app if you submitted 5 underwritten apps in a month that were approved.

I gave them good business and picked up several hundred dollars in bonuses for the short time I wrote them.

Since MLIC pulled out of GA they have given policyholders 2 back to back rate increases. This has not gone over well.

I may have written 3 - 5 apps with WULA and probably won't write any more unless someone just wants the lowest rate and is willing to take their chances going forward.

Other carriers that approve/reject underwritten apps without an underwriting interview are BFLIC and Anthem. AFAIK the rest of the carriers I use always have an underwriting phone call.

With FE companies, there can be a great differences from one company to the next as to what medical conditions they will accept. Is this the case with the med supp companies or are most of them pretty much the same.
There's also a wide variance in underwriting in Med Supp companies. Bankers Fidelity is one of the most lenient, but their premium's gone up.

WULA appears to be following the same pattern as MLIC in Georgia. Assuming their underwriting is the same, this is my MLIC experience.

They rarely, if ever, made underwriting calls. Every app I submitted with "no" answers was approved. Most within a couple of days of submit.

About a year before MLIC pulled out of GA (and replcaced by WULA) they offered a bonus of $125 per underwritten app if you submitted 5 underwritten apps in a month that were approved.

I gave them good business and picked up several hundred dollars in bonuses for the short time I wrote them.

Since MLIC pulled out of GA they have given policyholders 2 back to back rate increases. This has not gone over well.

I may have written 3 - 5 apps with WULA and probably won't write any more unless someone just wants the lowest rate and is willing to take their chances going forward.

Other carriers that approve/reject underwritten apps without an underwriting interview are BFLIC and Anthem. AFAIK the rest of the carriers I use always have an underwriting phone call.
Yes, the underwriting for Western is the same as it was for Manhattan. I was always gun shy about using Manhattan after the way they did with Family Life. I thought Manhattan would be different since they didn't pay full commission on GI like Family Life did. I never used them and now I'm glad I didn't. There's no need to use Western, with all the new companies coming out now that are as low in premium or lower: Lumico, Union Security, Shenandoah, Prosperity.

I thought Manhattan would be different since they didn't pay full commission on GI like Family Life did. I never used them and now I'm glad I didn't.

Wait!!!

You were the one that encouraged me to use them.

They are so easy to work with you said.

I placed about 50 folks with them because Monkey Man said so.

Back