Uni Care MA with a MSA

James

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just got some info on this and really don't know what to make of it? Zero premium along with a deductible of 2,500-3,500-4,500 dollars. Along with a Medical Saving Plan you use on your deductible.

I have reviewed these too James, but am yet to find who the target market is for these plans. No target market = no sales, no matter how much the plan makes sense to me, which the MSA/MA combo does.

perfectchoice said:
I have reviewed these too James, but am yet to find who the target market is for these plans. No target market = no sales, no matter how much the plan makes sense to me, which the MSA/MA combo does.

While I know the target market, those seniors that have assets or some income and could use the idea of savings and tax deduction that the MSA provides. Yet just how much sense does it make? I'm not sure yet! I build upon the HSA as savings that can pay for their LTC Premium, I suppose the same can be done here since the MSA connected to the MA can be spent on LTCi. So if one is healthy and 65 and have years before their medical bills start to climb, they could ultilize that MSA as furthering their LTCi money in extra tax advantage.

I understand how it could benefit, but again, in reality most seniors don't want to bother with this type of plan. If they have assets and income then I just sign them up for a Medicare Supplement. Besides, a LTCI policy for someone age 65--that's about $300+/mo, which having a MSA is not going to help with much.
MSAs just seem to add confusion to an already confusing system and all but the very savvy shoppers will be turned off to it the first time you say $4000 deductible.

perfectchoice said:
I understand how it could benefit, but again, in reality most seniors don't want to bother with this type of plan. If they have assets and income then I just sign them up for a Medicare Supplement. Besides, a LTCI policy for someone age 65--that's about $300+/mo, which having a MSA is not going to help with much.
MSAs just seem to add confusion to an already confusing system and all but the very savvy shoppers will be turned off to it the first time you say $4000 deductible.

I will agree with your assumptions. Yet I'm not sure about the amount they can place in the MSA?

I run into the high deductible plan F's here and there and most seniors get rid of them. They do not want a large deductibe looming over them, even if they could have a MSA there. They usually say that their Part D is confusing enough.

If HSA become more mainstream, you might see an increase in plans like that when the HSA people reach 65. Until then, I do not see that becoming but a sale once in a while.

Back