Unicare

I predict a certain amount of chaos in the health insurance biz in TX in the near future. Not just unicare, but all companies. Out of all the 50 states, TX is a real problem child for health insurance. It just is.

Unicare is blocking out old plans and launching new plans.

This is also to make way for 1 year age bands and durational ratings, neither of which have been explained to agents.

Time will tell but a major 1/1/08 commission cut caused a lot of agents to reconsider strategy.

So, I mentioned Houston { well, the article mentions Houston} now, let's mention Dallas:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Parkland Memorial Hospital and Illegal Immigrants

You see, we already have social healthcare that is paid for by medicaid. We have politicians wanting a TX healthcare plan of some sort. Well, the feds already pay for a lot of it, state of TX just wants to figure out how to get the insurance companies or citizens {or somebody} to pay the rest...
Employers are not wanting to offer coverage. People do not seem to be taking to HSA's very well. Limited benefit plans are limited. High deductible plans have high deductibles.

People know they can go in any hospital while uninsured, say they are too broke to pay, and get treated and the hospital just writes it off as a loss, then the hospital just goes and begs the feds and they pay.

It's a big train out of control, coming off the tracks, and if you were a health insurer would you want to be around here? It's very much like a P&C company not wanting to insure a house on the coast: getting involved in health insurance in TX is like jumping headfirst into a bad storm. This is the biggest state with the most uninsured people and the most handouts to people from Mexico and from here and from all over. Not a good plan- right now. When does it all come crashing down?

It is ironic anyone in Texas would consider universal health care when workers comp is optional, and seldom carried by Texas employers.

How about requiring workers comp first - then come back and talk to me about health care - or even better enforcing auto insurance, and actually TRAINING drivers not this sorry drivers test that is in place now.

One last item - if you get pulled over and are illegal - do not pass go, do not collect $200 - you go home, you are a criminal. If Houston wants to continue to break federal law - it should be cut off of all Federal funding, no exceptions.

I pay over $2000/mo in school tax so illegals can join my children in our new $16 million school and $200 million bond? I am financing an illegal to use our schools... Ohhh but it is for the kids, I can't say anything.

Let me find out and confirm one illegal in my school that I paid for and the writing campaign will begin. People are reaching a breaking point. What is fair is fair.

My wife is an immigrant (legal) and my kids are mix so no one can pull the race card on me. I know what I paid and went through to get my wife's legal status, and no one should get a free ride.

On a lighter note - Unicare (original thread) does not require socials and will insure illegals... lol...

Speaking of workers comp, I started a thread about that, and in TX: it seems that most insurance companies here in TX just simply state they will not cover on the job injuries { because there should be workers comp in place for that} however, in most cases, no workers comp. I think they just use the "legaleeze" from other states and copy and paste the language to our state health policies. So, the majority of the time, there is a question as to whether or not the employee has coverage on the job in TX. Just one more item that makes health insurance coverage a less desirable market in TX for health companies.

It's very much like a P&C company not wanting to insure a house on the coast: getting involved in health insurance in TX is like jumping headfirst into a bad storm

I don't work the TX market, but if I did I would welcome this kind of attitude. Just creates more opportunity for me.

When employers abandon employee benefits, it creates more opportunity for me.

HO carriers abandon coastal markets because the GOVERNMENT limits their ability to make a profit. The GOVERNMENT does this by dictating who must be covered, how much the carrier can charge and by manipulating the contracts in the courts.

Agents thought their life was over when the GOVERNMENT introduced Medicare. Fact is, Medicare created a new market.

Of course Medicare is on the ropes, which means taking on another project (even on a state level) is another disaster. The GOVERNMENT is totally incapable of managing risk and continues to prove this on a daily basis.

If you are afraid of the GOVERNMENT taking over your job then maybe selling cars is a better choice.

Speaking of workers comp, I started a thread about that, and in TX: it seems that most insurance companies here in TX just simply state they will not cover on the job injuries { because there should be workers comp in place for that} however, in most cases, no workers comp.

When an employer goes naked they are not exonerated from any liability for OTJ injuries . . . it simply means they are self insured.

Carriers in all states, not just TX, exclude work related injuries when WC is available, even if it is not purchased by the employer. The only time I have seen contract language cover OTJ injuries is when WC is not avaialble.

Back