Uninsurable Heatlh Insurance for Michigan

bpenn9

Guru
100+ Post Club
Utah
Hello,

I am a agent in CO I have a friend in MI that is uninsurable, do they have a program like cover colordao in MI? I've done lil research but all I can find is that BC/BS might have a plan for her?

All comments welcome especially from STI broker

Michigan does not have a state high risk pool - which is a shame, hopefully one day they will put politics aside and get one in place.

Until then here is your answer...

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) is a Federal law that allows persons to qualify immediately for comparable health insurance coverage when they change their employment or relationships.
An open enrollment plan offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan serving as carrier of last resort. Blue Cross is exempt from taxes in Michigan. Enrollment is open continuously. Required by statute. Plans have some limitations in benefits, including limits on prescription drugs. One non-group enrollment plan does include an outpatient prescription drug benefit. It has a 50 percent co-payment and a $2,500 annual maximum benefit. Also, HMOs in Michigan are required by statute, after their first two years of operation, to offer individual health insurance coverage with a 30-day open enrollment period each year.
For more information, contact the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Securities at 1-877- 999-6442 or (517) 373-0220.

Just so we are clear BCBS of MI is not medically underwritten they take anyone but there may be a waiting period with no prior insurance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back