uninsurable in Florida

Maybe somebody can educate me on the problem in FL with uninsurables as I know know very little. Self-employed (real estate) 52 yo female with heart issues, taking beta blockers, is denied coverage... in most states she could go to the risk pool. But the FL risk pool is closed since 1991. What can she do besides get another job with benefits? I'm thinking maybe try for a 2 man group with another RE agent?

Maybe somebody can educate me on the problem in FL with uninsurables as I know know very little. Self-employed (real estate) 52 yo female with heart issues, taking beta blockers, is denied coverage... in most states she could go to the risk pool. But the FL risk pool is closed since 1991. What can she do besides get another job with benefits? I'm thinking maybe try for a 2 man group with another RE agent?

Nope, won't work.

Her alternatives are either getting a job with benefits, or if she's self-employed (and can document it - heavily) she can get a guaranteed issue 1 life group during the open enrollment period, which is the month of August, to be effective October 1.

Expensive, and won't cover pre-x for the first 12 months if no prior creditable coverage.

There's a high deductible guarantee issue product that runs about 369 month. It has a two million lifetime maximum. High deductible, but it is better than nothing. Also, because it is a guarantee issue, the rate increases will be minimal. I don't sell the product, but I can point you in the right direction...

There's a high deductible guarantee issue product that runs about 369 month. It has a two million lifetime maximum. High deductible, but it is better than nothing. Also, because it is a guarantee issue, the rate increases will be minimal. I don't sell the product, but I can point you in the right direction...

Oh Lord, what would this product be?

Listen, for all uninsurables where there doesn't seem to be any options always direct them to their local health department. They might not be able to do much or they might be able to do a lot.

Local example in FL: Orange County Health Department - Maternity - offers some services like maternity, FL has a drug discount card - you find out about stuff like Florida Kids Care: Florida KidCare: Child Health Insurance You Can Afford!

Although the health department can't offer health insurance you absolutely should have your client sit down with a counselor. They know about programs you might not be aware of - they might be able to refer you to doctors who work with uninsured patients or they might be able to coordinate care for you.

I've been down at my local health department doing a bit of research - they offer free screenings, discounts on drugs, free shots and fantastic advice.

Rather than PM the info, I'll just point out the plan. If there are problems with it, beside it being a high-deductible plan, please let me know.
http://stephens-matthews.com/newforms/per4mance/2008EnrollmentGuide.pdf
Also, since i no longer work for these people, I don't sell it. I would just direct you to the local broker, if there is an interest. Lastly, it doesn't pay the agent anything. Agents get paid 75 for an individual and 100 for a family. The relevant section is on pages ten and eleven.

Last edited:
I see you're going the way of the MGA channel. Do you happen to have a specimen policy?

Quick glance reveals the following.

=
-AFID website is not active = bad sign
- Who is the underwriting company?
- What are the other options for people to obtain coverage with a REPUTABLE INSURANCE COMPANY WHO HAS A WEBSITE AND ESTABLISHED BUSINESS PRACTICE.
-I'm surprised to see they state that maternity is covered after the effective day.

I'm sure John and Somarco will research this more in depth, as we all know they like to do that kind of stuff. I'm too tired to analyze anything else today.

Somarco has some excellent links on his website that talk about how to research a discount or insurance plan.

high deductible guarantee issue product that runs about 369 month. It has a two million lifetime maximum.

The plan is currently under investigation by the DOI in several states. None of the documentation supports the claims it is a legitimate product.

Last edited:
Back