Uninsurables

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I would be curious what is available for uninsurables in your area. GA does not have a risk pool. Uninsurables have COBRA, conversion or once COBRA runs out they can ask the DOI to assign them to a carrier.

Most of the time that is BX who gives them an indemnity plan with a very high premium.

2 person groups are the minimum.

What is in your state?

Maryland Health Insurance Plan (MHIP)

absolutely rocks.

Eligibility Requirements

You may be eligible for the Maryland Health Insurance Plan if you are a resident of Maryland and:
  • Have a qualifying medical condition
  • Have been denied insurance in the past six months for medical reasons
  • You are enrolled in, or have the opportunity to enroll in, individual health insurance that:
    • Limits, restricts or blocks your coverage for a specific medical condition
    • Has benefits similar to MHIP, but costs more because of your medical condition
  • You are a child who has a qualifying medical condition (A parent or guardian would submit the application on behalf of the child.)
  • You are switching from a high-risk pool in another state, and
    • It has been less than 63 days since that coverage ended and
    • You plan to live here permanently

Minnesota isn't a bad state to not qualify for coverage, although most people don't appreciate that. We have the lowest uninsured rate in the nation, and of the roughly 7% uninsured, over 60% are eligible for some form of subsidized coverage and over 25% are illegal immigrants. However, the state is looking to establish a connector plan that heavily disfavors agents so we can reach more of the uninsureds.

Back to the orignial question, we have a guaranteed accepted risk pool (as long as you have been declined coverage in the last 6 months or have an agent statement that you would be declined) that has premiums capped at only 25% above the private market. All pre-existing conditions are covered as long as the individual is HIPAA eligible. Even if you aren't HIPAA eligible, if you have a major condition, you will probably get it covered.

Minnesota isn't a bad state to not qualify for coverage, although most people don't appreciate that. We have the lowest uninsured rate in the nation, and of the roughly 7% uninsured, over 60% are eligible for some form of subsidized coverage and over 25% are illegal immigrants. However, the state is looking to establish a connector plan that heavily disfavors agents so we can reach more of the uninsureds.

I believe Bob asked about state plans, not have this turn into math class. :nah:

BTW, how does your state know that 25% of the 7% uninsured are illegals?

Why buy Health Insurance? Just walk into the ER and get the same service as everyone else for FREE - duhhh...

Shhhhh.... Don't tell anyone the trick.

I would be curious what is available for uninsurables in your area. GA does not have a risk pool. Uninsurables have COBRA, conversion or once COBRA runs out they can ask the DOI to assign them to a carrier.

Most of the time that is BX who gives them an indemnity plan with a very high premium.

2 person groups are the minimum.

What is in your state?

That might play out in the hospital but go to Rite Aid and see if they'll give you free meds.

Why do you keep deleting my post?????? DId you delete Somarcos and MLMs post from mine???????? I smell some favortism here!!

Back