Uninsured and Pregnant

RichardRLH617

My daughter and her boyfriend are going to have a child together. She is 29-years-old, has no health insurance, and cannot be covered under our (parents) plan because of her age. Can someone provide me with any information as to what plan of action she can or might be able to take to reduce costs she may directly incur? Also, if her boyfriend has medial insurance, would my daughter be covered under his policy for the pregnancy? Thank you.

My daughter and her boyfriend are going to have a child together. She is 29-years-old, has no health insurance, and cannot be covered under our (parents) plan because of her age. Can someone provide me with any information as to what plan of action she can or might be able to take to reduce costs she may directly incur? Also, if her boyfriend has medial insurance, would my daughter be covered under his policy for the pregnancy? Thank you.

I'm not licensed in PA, but

1. You can look into PA medicaid in the state, or special pregnancy medicaid coverage.
Pennsylvania and the ACA’s Medicaid expansion: eligibility, enrollment and benefits
2. They can get married, and add her to the new husband's policy with life event.
3. Some states and insurance allow her to be added to his policy if they "live together"
4. The new baby can be added at birth to the boyfriend's policy.
5. If she had insurance in past months, or PA still has open enrollment for Obamacare, you will want to look into this option too: Pennie | Connecting Pennsylvanians to Health Coverage

Hi Yagents ... I wonder if I could bother you again. My daughter, who I spoke about above, has been offered a full-time position in a medical office. Her new employer told her he could not find an affordable health insurance plan to offer her. Instead, he told her to find her own plan, and they would reimburse her 30% of the costs through payroll. First question, have you ever heard of such a thing? And two, if so, where should she go to shop for a plan? Thanks again. Rich

Hi Yagents ... I wonder if I could bother you again. My daughter, who I spoke about above, has been offered a full-time position in a medical office. Her new employer told her he could not find an affordable health insurance plan to offer her. Instead, he told her to find her own plan, and they would reimburse her 30% of the costs through payroll. First question, have you ever heard of such a thing? And two, if so, where should she go to shop for a plan? Thanks again. Rich

Differentiate the ability to get health insurance and who is going to pay for the health insurance.

The above advice is still the same as how to get health insurance.

Yes, employers who don't offer group coverage can instead provide or reimburse money to the employee to get their own health insurance via payroll or an HRA health reimbursement arrangement. This is common with smaller employers.

Back