Uninsured motorist claim

Timothy H

I’m dealing with my own company on a car wreck. $20k damage to my car. They’ve paid $5k in medical bills. A new claims person called and said they will pay me for pain and suffering when dr releases me. I told them ok.
That being said any idea what Allstate will offer me.

I have no clue about what you'll be offered and you'll have no idea what to ask for when you are fully recovered from your injuries.

Understand that Uninsured Motorists is an adversarial coverage. Your company stands in the place of the other driver's insurance company that he didn't have. You therefore have to prove your claim with your insurance company just as you would have to do with the other driver's insurance company if he had one.

If you want some guidance as to how to do that feel free to come back to this thread (you can revive it at any time so don't start any new ones).

Meantime, google personal injury demand letter or personal injury demand package for some resources on how to write one.

One thing is for sure, Allstate will probably lowball you so rather than wait for an offer, it's better to figure out what you are willing to walk away with, ask for more, and negotiate downward. Nobody is ever happy with a personal injury settlement.

Average is 2 1/2 X total medical bill. Remember that it is the bill, not what you were charged. Save everything. Do ALL Physical Therapy recommended by physician. If you were seen in a hospital ER, there are 17 different bills from 17 different departments in a hospital.

Also be aware that most states have a three year statute of limitations on bodily injury claims. So you do not have accept or deny their offer right away. Also since they are legally required to keep a liability reserve for every open BI claim the longer you leave the claim unsettled the more of an incentive they have to settle. When I used to handle to handle BI claims I always started at the bottom of the settlement range. Then if there was justification to support a increase I would go up by 50%, then another 50% till I was out of range. After that it would be transferred to a different team to handle if I could not settle it.

My bills are now at $35k. They paid the first $25k, (for 2 outpatient surgery, physical therapy, prescriptions etc) Now my own health insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) is paying, and said they will get reimbursed once I settle. Friends are saying get an attorney.
I have 2 concerns, I don’t want to get a “non renewal letter, and I’d need 40% more than I can negotiate, to break even, if I use an attorney. I’m retired and don’t have lost wage issues.
Thoughts/guesstimates on what I should ask for would be appreciated.
In case my Adjustor is on here, hi Nancy.

BCBS can get reimbursed from your settlement. Your own company may not be as generous on the Pain and Suffering

BCBS can get reimbursed from your settlement. Your own company may not be as generous on the Pain and Suffering

They sent me an email telling me that they will pay “what is usual & customary” for pain suffering.
She probably meant for people without attorneys.
Hope not .

They sent me an email telling me that they will pay “what is usual & customary” for pain suffering.

Meaningless. When you start talking actual dollars you will find that her definition of "usual and customary" is miles apart from yours.

Your previous threads reveal that you were in an accident caused by a hit and run driver and your claim with your own insurance company is Uninsured Motorists.

What is your Uninsured Motorists BI limit???

Previous threads:

PIP Coverage in Kansas (insurance-forums.com)

Statute of Limitations in Kansas (insurance-forums.com)

Back