Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Jude

in Texas is it true that INs companies cannot increase premiums if you have hit & run damage but turn it in under uninsured motorist coverage?
Jude: skeptical:

I haven't found an answer to that question one way or the other but my experience in the insurance industry suggests that you don't get surcharged for a claim for which you are not at fault regardless of whether the claim is made under Collision or Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage.

Section 1952.107 of the Texas Insurance Code allows an insured who has both coverages to select either or both depending on the amount of the damage.

INSURANCE CODE CHAPTER 1952. POLICY PROVISIONS AND FORMS FORAUTOMOBILE INSURANCE

Chapter 1953 of the Insurance Code addresses surcharges to some extent but doesn't appear to answer the question.

CHAPTER 1953 - RATE REGULATION AND RATEMAKING FOR AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE :: 2015 Texas Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

The Texas Insurance Department's website has an explanation of auto insurance but doesn't address your question:

Automobile Insurance Made Easy

I suggest you address your question to the insurance department and see if somebody there can cite you a statute or a case decision.

Back