Unique Selling Proposition

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
How do you differentiate yourself from the other guys (and gals) that are also talking to your prospects?

One thing I am considering is a "guide" to Medicare that highlights the benefits of registering with MyMedicare.gov, providing links to what is and isn't covered in your Welcome to Medicare exam, what the ABN form is, and so forth.

My position is this. Other agents can sell you the same plan(s) I offer, but how many will show you how to maximize your Medicare benefits and avoid surprises.

How do you differentiate yourself from the other guys (and gals) that are also talking to your prospects?

One thing I am considering is a "guide" to Medicare that highlights the benefits of registering with MyMedicare.gov, providing links to what is and isn't covered in your Welcome to Medicare exam, what the ABN form is, and so forth.

My position is this. Other agents can sell you the same plan(s) I offer, but how many will show you how to maximize your Medicare benefits and avoid surprises.

Imo it is all about that value proposition of what you the agent bring to the table. If you do not bring more value to the client then why should they use you? And value is not just price, it is the overall service and advice. Long story short, I think that is a great idea.

I had a conversation with a retirement planning prospect about this subject (in a way) just yesterday. If I cant provide some type of value above and beyond what they receive now, or would receive with most other advisors, then there is no point in using me.

The guide works very well.

I call it Medicare 101. And I won't sell them a policy without it (which sounds really good when I am talking with them for the first time). I constantly hear "you are the first one who actually explained what all the letters mean". On my side, it answers 90% of the questions. I rarely get questions after the 1st 90 days. And if you are cross selling, it leads in nicely on LTC.

Also (and you aren't going to like this), I advise on Part D. And they know they will hear from every year to discuss it in October.

"You will get an email from me in mid September for your current drug list and pharmacy. We will then schedule a meeting after October 15 to discuss."

I wind up getting around 10 people every AEP because of this. Seniors are desperate for help on their drug plan. And I won't help on Part D if they aren't buying a Supp from me. I have made the decision to bite the bullet and start selling it this year. I'm leaving too much money on the table by NOT selling it.

I have an adult conversation, in plain english, with my prospect, with strong emphasis on educating them on all the moving pieces of Medicare. That usually does it. And if it doesn't, I move on. If the prospect can't see my value, I say goodbye and I don't waste anymore time on him. I am not going to get into a pissing match with him or another agent.

USP is an old term that I rarely hear tossed around any more. I always stress my tenure in the market and let them know I will freely share any information by phone and email.

In most cases that seems to be good enough, but I want to add in something else for after the sale besides "call me anytime you have a question".

----------

Jen, I do offer advice on PDP but don't enroll. Also will review renewals.

It is an interesting subject since we cannot alter the benefits or the price on a policy.

I would offer local resources. The local area on aging in KC had a resource guide that I would hand out.

This would make an interesting survey for agents...what makes you different from the other agents selling the same product?

So, I made a quick survey...feel free to add your secret sauce. I will post the results next week.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JVVPXBL

Good idea. I'm going to do the same...

Like kgmom I constantly hear that I am the first one that has taking the time to explain all the letters to them. I also send out birthday cards and a card reminding them that OEP is from Oct 15 to Dec 7 and call them in late Sept/early Oct.

My approach to this is different.

I was covered under my wife's group plan (Obamacare) until last year when I enrolled in Medicare. Every year my wellness exam was no charge.

That changed with my Welcome to Medicare exam.

First thing I noticed in the exam room was a sign on the bulletin board that stated "Medicare does not pay for routine lab work".

Doc did the exam and had me sign an ABN form in case Mcare rejected my usual lab work. If not covered my lab work was expected to be $290.

I also mentioned pain in my hip, which prompted an X-ray and a few other tests. That ran $114 (applied towards my deductible).

Setting up a MyMedicare account is something I advise but apparently few actually follow through.

My thought is, rather than just sending them on their way it might be good to give them a guide on what to expect so they don't think everything is free.

somarco, I am not trying to be a wise guy but like you I am trying to help my clients, so I am trying to understand about having to sign the form in case Medicare reject the lab work. I guess I am a little confused why would Medicare refuse to pay for lab work?

Back