United American

All your clients from JAX to Miami will be hounding you when they go to claim on that UA stuff. You are setting yourself up for near term disaster. If you like that kind of a headache, go for it.

I think they might be affiliated with Mega. If I look up Mega agents on the OCI website, many of their agents are also appointed with UA. We all know that Mega doesn't allow that normally. If they even breeze past the MEGA van driving down the highway, it's too close of a relationship. This is a hospital-surgical plan. Nothing more and probably less. They are fighting with Mega for the top spot on the OCI complaint list.

All your clients from JAX to Miami will be hounding you when they go to claim on that UA stuff. You are setting yourself up for near term disaster. If you like that kind of a headache, go for it.

You clearly are not in FL, nor do you know the demographics or healthcare options available in FL.

I know someone that had a heart attack, had UA 80/20 plan. Bill was $59,000 UA paid $6,000. Some 80/20.

Communication with hospital:

Would you like to write a check for that or put it on a credit card?
Oh, you can't do that then we can do a monthly payment plan of $2,000, can't afford that the best we can do is $900 a month!!! Then it goes to collections.

:arghh: What a plan!!!

Yes, and here are likely the facts:

-The agent sold the base plan without UA Partners. He/she did this because they low balled the deal.

-If you can't sell UA the right way, walk away.

-Had the agent sold the plan correctly, the $59K would have been repriced and the out of pocket would have been $8-$10k topps.

Not bad for someone that was completely uninsurable to begin with.

I have tons of EOB's that would illustrate this exact scenario.

Last edited:
I sell a little bit of UA.

The biggest thing you'll find is UA gives its agents little training, so they're liable to say about anything in selling the policies depending on their ethics and intelligence.

Otherwise, and without knowing what it is you're selling, it's a matter of your features vs. their features, about like anything else. If somebody's in good health you shouldn't have too big a problem.

-Had the agent sold the plan correctly, the $59K would have been repriced and the out of pocket would have been $8-$10k topps.

80% re price discount? Can you explain how that is possible.

Also isn't there a cancer rider sold with most UA plans because the outpatient chemo limit is low (like $500).

Most UA agents I know bundle Cancer and other items to the plan to plug the holes.

UA is represented as an 80/20 plan and that is not exactly the whole truth, and we are suppossed to be about the truth. There was no reason to assume the heart attack victim was uninsurable when he bought the UA. The bill is suppossed to be repriced without buying any UA Partners junk.

I can't justify their plan. The UA agents I have met are not up to my standards.

Mega agents are allowed to sell one UA plan for clients that cannot get through normal underwriting. I was with Mega for a few years, and now I am independent. Mega agents sign a contract with UA, through Mega, and only have access to one health plan, cancer plan, etc. It is crappy coverage, but when I have a diabetic client, male, 62, and our health pool here in SC is over $1200 a month, UA is about the only option. One thing I cannot stand is when I find clients who have these plans and are healthy and can afford real MM coverage. They are usually given bad information from new agents who think their plans are legit. The majority of their agents are like Mega agents, come in broke, get a day or two of bad training, sell a few policies with no knowledge of the industry, then quit.

Back