United Benefits of American

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
Has anyone run into these scam artists?

United Benefits of America

I had a lead I called today and he told me he had just bought United Healthcare's $0 deductible plan for $299/mo...

Needless to say, I was a bit skeptical. The guy had some serious pre-existing medical conditions and I told him to stay on his current plan (Southwest Service Life -Not great, but better than what he's looking at and $500/mo cheaper than the Risk Pool).

Anyway, he calls to cancel and the lady that sold him this plan gets pissed off... He asks me if he can give her my number.. I agreed.

This lady calls me up and lets me know the conversation is recorded and is VERY rude. She wants to know who I am in relation to this guy and I tell her that he's a health lead, but I have ZERO financial incentive in this.

Anyway, I ask her what she's selling (it's some type of discount plan)... she keeps referring to it as "health benefits". I ask if she's licensed to sell insurance in TX, and she lets me know that she's not licensed. So I ask her repeatedly.. is this insurance? She will never say no, but only replies that they are health benefits and it is a minor medical plan.

I let her know that I'm sticking with my recommendation for the client to stay on his existing plan. She hangs up on me...

Super scammy! If you call a lead and they tell you they just bought United Health... dig a little deeper!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is really funny! Someone from the "compliance department" of United Benefits just called me and told me that I was breaking the law by telling the client to cancel his plan... She said, "You know it's illegal to call up here and try and get information about this client's plan and then tell him to cancel..."

"I could turn you in to TDI and get your license revoked..."

I told her I have no financial incentive to help this guy and it's not illegal for me to recommend to keep his existing plan. I told her that I only called to gather general information about the plans they offered... Go ahead and call TDI, I would be happy to respond to this complaint...

She responded... we have you recorded and hung up on me...

This is completely laughable!! How can one deal be that important to them?

Crazy!!

Last edited:
I called back and talked with the compliance officer and he was most helpful. It looks like the sales rep is the one in the wrong and had a friend or something call and harass me.

After talking with this guy, and having him explain some of their programs, I don't have such a bad taste about the organization.

They do offer major medical for people that qualify and this guy said that the company policy is to not to leave someone with less coverage. If this is true I have no problems with them.

It's another Beech Street discount plan. On their site is has the disclaimer that the IAB plans are not health insurance, but health discount plans.

Apparently they do offer Assurant for major med, but they have no internal medical insurance plan, only the discount plan.

Also, I find the use of the term "minor medical" to be very deceiving.

NOTICE ON IAB MEDICAL SAVINGS PLAN
1. This plan is not a health insurance policy.
2. This plan provides discounts at certain health care providers for medical services.
3. This plan does not make payments directly to the providers of medical services.
4. As a plan member, you are obligated to pay for all health care services but will receive a discount from those health care providers who have contracted, directly or indirectly, with IAB.
5. Discount Medical Plan Organization: IAB P.O. Box 224767 Dallas, TX 75222-4767 (800) 275-1171

Last edited:
Well... I feel like I helped the client and hopefully I'll end up with a referral for all the BS. I'd welcome a complaint... The client would gladly give his side of the story and talk about how he thought he had just bought a United Healthcare major medical plan and asked me to call and help him...

This just goes to show you, that being selective with your sales force is crucial.. As I mentioned, the compliance officer was a really nice guy, but it only takes one greedy salesperson to get a company in hot water...

You did the right thing and a good job. These people are just "scarry" LOL. I personally like their "Tri-Care" plan...not be confused with TriCare, the real health plan LOL. Imagine someone you talk to says I just got enrolled in "Tri-Care" plan. And don't believe for a second these companies do not do this on purpose.

How did the person think they had UHC? According to the site, they only sell major medical plan with Assurant.

I would change on thing you wrote to "one greedy unlicensed salesperson". There is no danger of regulatory action of loss of license when you don't have one :no:

How did the person think they had UHC? According to the site, they only sell major medical plan with Assurant.

Well... I think the client associated United Healthcare with United Benefits... This was probably the client's misunderstanding, but the way he was talking made it sound like the salesperson did not make an effort at thoroughly explaining that this is not health insurance. This client didn't have a clue what he had just bought. All he knew was there was no deductible. With the type of pre-existing condition he recently had, even his Southwest Service Life plan is better than this. Sure it's a little limited, but it will actually pay and it is insurance. Most of the SW Service Life Plans I've seen are actually quite a bit more comprehensive than RightStart...

When I called, he said, "I already bought INSURANCE with United Health. It's a $0 deductible plan and my hospital is in network."

I agree... unlicensed, greedy agents are very dangerous...

BTW, last I checked, SW Service Life is still writing. I know it's not the greatest, but for some people who qualify for nothing else, sometimes it's SW Service, or UA, or nothing... { or a dicount card }

Also, I was once involved with a health company who used Beech St network on the health plans, are you folks saying it's a discount card- or involved with discount cards?

At one time Beech St was a decent network but they have lost a lot of their luster. There are two networks that seem to affiliate with discount cards on a regular basis, Beech St and PHCS. IMO, this tarnishes their reputation.

This is especially true when providers refuse to accept the cards unless the patient pays up front in cash. The repricing scheme for the discount cards is not as deep as it is on the insured side.

IAB has been scamming for years, were the subject of a class action lawsuit and the final judgment was a permanent injunction!!! I don't know how they stay in business!!

They also have gone by the following names:

H C I
H C L
HCI
HCL
I A B
IAB
INDEPENDENT ASSOCIATIONS OF BENEFITS
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESSES
MULTIPLAN PROVIDER NETWORK
PROFESSIONAL HEALTH BENEFITS
PROVIDER SELECT FAMILY HEALTH CARE
PROVIDERS SELECT HEALTH CARE
PS FAMILY HEALTHCARE
SIGNATURE HEALTH GROUP

On April 28, 2005, the Texas Attorney General filed a suit against IAB.

The full text is available at the following website,
HTTP://WWW.OAG.STATE.TX.US/NEWSPUBS/RELEASES/2005/042805IABPOP.PDF

On August 3, 2006, The Texas Attorney General obtained a Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction.
The defendant, IAB is prohibited from engaging in:

1. � Failing to disclose orally and in writing to consumers that their plans are not insurance.�

2. Using the following terms: �co-pay, pre-existing conditions, coverage; and, deductible.�

Before representing the cost of any health care service IAB must have a factual basis, the entire cost must be disclosed and any portion of the cost which will be paid or reimbursed by IAB must have a factual basis.

Before representing discount health care, access to discount health care, ranges of discounts or savings on health care, at least 10% of IAB�s members must have realized a saving over a six month or greater period within preceding three years. The savings is the difference between the price of the product or service charged to a consumer who pays cash at the time of service without IAB�s card and the price charged to a consumer who presents the IAB card at the time of service.

See here for the rest:

BBB at Fort Worth: BBB Reliability Report

Back