United Health Care Independent Career Agent Potential

rhcbp

Expert
Can someone give me an idea of the potential of this position?

How many applications can be written a year as a UHC ICA?

Nov 15 to Dec 31 -

Jan 1 to Mar 31 -

April 1 to Nov 14 -

What percentage are new to medicare?

Thank you in advance.

RHCBP

A lot of this will depend on you. A lot will depend on where you are/where you write business. And there are a lot of other factors (competition, demographics, etc).

You can write 0 apps a day if you sit around the house waiting for leads to come to you. I know a lady who wrote 6 self generated apps yesterday.

Writing one app a day would be great to some people, but it would be slacking off to others.

I appreciate your answer. I am just trying to figure out if it is possible to sell 100 in the AEP and then another 100 in the OEP. It has been my experience that you need some leads to get this done.

I appreciate your answer. I am just trying to figure out if it is possible to sell 100 in the AEP and then another 100 in the OEP. It has been my experience that you need some leads to get this done.

I enrolled 135 people into MA plans from Nov. 15 until Jan. 31, {when I stopped writing MA plans}, and this was without purchasing a lead from anyone.

So, yes, it can be done.

Consumers are very aware of the Nov.15 to Dec. 31st timeframe (change drug plans). Leads did slow down last year after Christmas because many people did not know they had 3 more months. Slowed again in March.

I enrolled 135 people into MA plans from Nov. 15 until Jan. 31, {when I stopped writing MA plans}, and this was without purchasing a lead from anyone.

So, yes, it can be done.

what carrier were you with are were leads provided?

Sure you can write 100 apps in AEP and another 100 in OEP. But, as you said, you'll either have to get leads or have leads ready to go at the very beginning, and keep your pipeline full throughout the process.

For all practical purposes, working every Saturday possible and factoring in the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve holidays, you'll have 34 days in AEP, so you'll have to write an average of just under 3 apps a day, and that's working every single Saturday that you can work, if it's not immediately around a holiday, and writing 3 apps each day. If you take a Saturday or two off, you'll need to compensate for that with more apps per day when you work. I had a really good AEP last year, but it was sort of the perfect storm, and I wrote around 120 apps. My biggest day was 8 apps in one day. It is very tough keeping up that pace, but it can definitely be done.

OEP you'll only have to write a little more than 1 app a day average, but the urgency has worn off a little bit.

So, sure, you can make that goal, but you can't just write the goal down on a piece of paper, wait for Nov 15 to roll around, and have prospects begging you to enroll them.

This is the perfect time to prepare for that goal. Right now, start going to senior apartment complexes, pharmacies, independent grocery stores, missions, and anywhere else you can demonstrate what you do. Get in good with referral sources, make yourself available NOW, and have a lot of people ready to go, and you can do it.

It won't be easy, but if it were easy, anybody would do it, right?

Sure you can write 100 apps in AEP and another 100 in OEP. But, as you said, you'll either have to get leads or have leads ready to go at the very beginning, and keep your pipeline full throughout the process.

For all practical purposes, working every Saturday possible and factoring in the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve holidays, you'll have 34 days in AEP, so you'll have to write an average of just under 3 apps a day, and that's working every single Saturday that you can work, if it's not immediately around a holiday, and writing 3 apps each day. If you take a Saturday or two off, you'll need to compensate for that with more apps per day when you work. I had a really good AEP last year, but it was sort of the perfect storm, and I wrote around 120 apps. My biggest day was 8 apps in one day. It is very tough keeping up that pace, but it can definitely be done.

OEP you'll only have to write a little more than 1 app a day average, but the urgency has worn off a little bit.

So, sure, you can make that goal, but you can't just write the goal down on a piece of paper, wait for Nov 15 to roll around, and have prospects begging you to enroll them.

This is the perfect time to prepare for that goal. Right now, start going to senior apartment complexes, pharmacies, independent grocery stores, missions, and anywhere else you can demonstrate what you do. Get in good with referral sources, make yourself available NOW, and have a lot of people ready to go, and you can do it.

It won't be easy, but if it were easy, anybody would do it, right?

When I was doing MA, I was in the field 3 days per week. Tues, Wed. and Thurs. I would schedule 4 appoinments on each of those days. 10:00 am, 12:00 noon, 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm. I never once worked a Sat. or even ran appointments on Fri.

My leads came 70% from people I met with during lock-in while doing FE and I promised to get back to them after Nov. 15. Also, Wellcare had the melody plan shut down for duals here during lock in last year, so, I also had those people to go see that I would have been able to enroll earlier. Every MA I know had a similar "Nov. file" that they accumulated throughout the year. I don't have one now because i made the decision early this year to leave that market.

I could have a full workload of MA for AEP is I wanted. I run into people everyday doing FE that are unhappy with Humana and want to change. I refer then to an agent that is still doing MA. Just yesterday I could have enrolled 3 people in a dula plan if there was one available here. I can't even refer them to anyone since there is nothing available and won't be for 2010.

The other 30% of my leads come from referrals.

An agent just getting into the MA business would have to have some way of getting leads. I can't imagine why anyone would want to jump into that field now. It's difficult enough staying within the rules of insurance companies and then with MA/PDP you have CMS rules to boot and most are contrary to each other and to common sense. To top it off, on Aug 26, 2009, I still haven't been paid properly for the plans I wrote in Nov. '08.

I spent an hour yesterday putting out a fire with one of my MA clients. I just got a message from another that is having a procedure denied by the company. I'm sure I can it fixed, but, it's still a high maintenance product for the agent and, no matter what the problem, the agent is at fault.

Back