United Healthcare - Secure Horizons ?

Yort23

NC
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has any info on company and/or Secure Horizons division for Medicare? I am a newbie and have an interview setup with them next week in Raleigh, NC and wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts or advice? I was looking into going Indy but many people on this board suggest starting out captive first to "get my feet wet".

Also, I have never been on an interview with an insurance company before and would love some advice as to what questions to ask and what pitfalls to look for.

Thanks for any help that you may provide. :D

After you cover the standard questions about commissions, advances and chargebacks this a good question to ask:

"If I'm hired can you walk me through what my day will be like from 9am to when I'm done?"

I asked this when I joined a captive outfit and it was clear that I was responsible for calling and setting my own appointments. Not a problem - just wanted to know what was expected.

Also ask them to work it backwards for you. Say you need to make $1,000 a week. Tell them to outline how you would achive that. For example, if you asked me to "work it backward" to make $1,000 a week I'd say:

Ok, average premium is $3,500 and you're at 15% for $525 per deal. You'd need to cold-call biz owners generating 2 leads an hour and closing 1 out of 15. You need 2 deals per week to make $1,000 so you need 30 leads and 15 hours of telemarketing.

So now you know what's entailed. You also know if it's possible to attain what you need to make. Let's say you wanted to make $2,500 a week and asked me to work it backwards:

That's 5 deals a week - 75 leads needed and 37 hours of calls. Can that be done? Nope.

Thanks John. Just curious. What kind of money can you make as a captive Senior Market sales guy? What is a reasonable amount to shoot for (or ask in the interview) on a weekly basis? thanks.

From what I have seen from the major players of the Medicare Advantage market is that they provide leads from call-ins from ads and out bound telemarketing. Most of the appointments are preset and you just have to go there and close them. Medicare has a lot of rules about marketing to seniors, like no door to door, no approaching them in a public place, etc.

I would ask about:

Owning your own book of business
At what point are you vested in renewals
Leads (as mentioned above)
And what John talked about, what an average day looks like

Each market is different. While Secure Horizons is not a player in the Kansas City market, they are major players in others. Look on Medicare.gov to see what plans are in your area. Check the competitions rates vs. yours.

Secure Horizons is part of United Healthcare, which markets through AARP for their supps. Would you have the ability to offer / get leads from that? And would you have access to other products besides MA plans?(more questions to ask)

Hope this helps...

Yort23 said:
Thanks John. Just curious. What kind of money can you make as a captive Senior Market sales guy? What is a reasonable amount to shoot for (or ask in the interview) on a weekly basis? thanks.

That I don't know. Some of these outfits set appointments for you - which ain't a bad deal - especially if you're starting out. Run 2 to 3 appoinments a day and it'll all come out in the wash. I think it's reasonable if you work hard to make $1,500 a week. Making more than that, although attainable, is unlikely in your first year.

That's important to note since a lot of agents I used to interview were looking for six figure 1st year. No way were they gonna make $2,000 a week out of the starting gate.

Bad captive deals are low commissions and you have to generate your own leads/set your own appointments. Just stay away from that and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back