UnitedHealthcare Customers Are Unhappy About Cuts To SilverSneakers Fitness Program

I am in Utah and changed plans. I really don't need insurance because I am healthy and just carry it because it is required. Silver Sneakers was the primary reason I signed up with United Healtcare. I prefer the Intermountain Health plan so when they dropped silver sneaker I moved over to the plan that had the better providers in Utah.

Looks like Intermountain is a MA plan... It's all good while you're healthy, until you need to use it!

But Zumba Gold, Aquacize etc your heart out as it's a bells-and-whistles with most MA plans.

I offer both MA and Med Supp plans. But by the time I'm done explaining both (when speaking to people privately), they usually choose a Med Supp. I stress the best time to buy one is the first six months of enrolling in Part B, or the 12-month Trial Right.

Can't tell you how many people I've met in their mid 70s to early 80s who claim they "never heard" of Med Supps or knew the difference between them and MA and now want one, when it's too late. They're tired of paying OOP by then.

Last edited:
United Healthcare administrators are clueless. Most people don't step foot in a gym but they always plan to. Most gym memberships are sold in January. Most people that sign up go for a couple of weeks and never go back, but of course intend to.
I am a builder. We always put exercise rooms in apartments and outfit them with tread mills, weight equipment, etc. Very little of it ever gets used. When someone is looking for an apartment one of the things that sells them on a specific facility is the exercise room. They know they should exercise and intend to and want the ability to do it even though they will never set foot in the exercise room once they have moved in.
Silver Sneakers is really more about selling a product. People will choose a plan that offers silver sneakers over one that does not because they will make the choice based on good intentions.

Last edited:
@Philip Reed

I really don't need insurance because I am healthy and just carry it because it is required.[/QUOTE]

WHO requires you to buy a Medigap plan?

Silver Sneakers was the primary reason I signed up with United Healtcare.

But when they dropped SS you changed to a different carrier.

And yet you argue . . .

Silver Sneakers is really more about selling a product. People will choose a plan that offers silver sneakers over one that does not because they will make the choice based on good intentions.

You are all over the boards, but carefully dodging questions.

So they say

Many of my clients use it though

I just switched a bunch in NY from AARP medsupp to BC because of SS alone

Funny thing about seniors... they seem to like knowing they have something like that even if they never use it. Sorry to hear that they are dropping it. Years ago when I was selling Humana, it was a great selling point.

Back