Universal Health Care suspends MA PFFS plan in all states

jacodaro

Expert
Arizona
As of Feb 14. Just received the email. Apparently, membership goals have been met for 2007.

They grew so fast that you couldn't get through on the agent line. When you did it was India.

Re: Universal Health Care suspends MA PFFS plan in all state

jacodaro said:
As of Feb 14. Just received the email. Apparently, membership goals have been met for 2007.

They grew so fast that you couldn't get through on the agent line. When you did it was India.

How about cutting and pasting that email? I haven't heard anything on this yet.

Is anyone actually writing MA policies for Universal Health??

I never had a problem with Universal. Either calling in and getting an immediate response with an English speaking person, or getting client issues resolved.

So I am very happy with them at this point.

Sure stole the thunder for future sales, though. I'm not surprised they reached capacity....but never thought it could happen.

They had a good gimmick...0 premium + refund Part B...BOOOYAH!!

Here you go.....

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Attention: ALL UNIVERSAL HEALTH AGENTS

Per instruction from UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE all sales of their Private Fee For Service (PFFS) product in ALL STATES are being suspended effective today, Wednesday, February 14th, 2007. Any enrollment application signed as of today, February 14th, 2007 and received in our offices no later than Monday, February 19th, 2007 will be processed as usual. Universal Health Care will not accept any applications for the PFFS dated after February 14, 2007.

We have been assured by the senior management of Universal Health Care that all commissions will be paid on all applications that are processed and approved. The reason sales are being suspended is due to the companyÂ’s tremendous growth this year and that fact that they have already met their membership goals for 2007. It is anticipated that new members will be able to enroll for 2008 beginning in November.

Applications may be overnight to:

Medicare Advantage Administrators

2536 Countryside Blvd Ste 300B

Clearwater, FL 33763

You may also fax applications to 1-800-393-2294.

The Universal Health Care Medicare Advantage HMO Masterpiece Plans are still available in the state of Florida ONLY.

Universal, the Good the Bad and the Ugly

Firstly I'd like to say after selling Universal Products through 2 open enrollment periods that it is not a bad product. It has been sold basically on the merits of returning the part B premium. This is strictly a marketing ploy and is offset by high per diem of hospital benefits, a not very good drug formulary, and larger than average maximum out of pocket.

I've always targetted a specific group for sales of Universal, turning 65s, people with very few chronic illness, and folks in the VA. This however has not been true with many agents involved with this company, I am not saying anyone on this list has acted unprofessionally. I was a captive in an organization that condoned co-ercion of seniors in these plans and recently consulted on a case where the enrollee had medicaid, leukemia,and colon cancer and was coerced into enrolling in Universal. I, until recently have had nothing but trouble servicing my enrollees, and God forbid an enrollee needed to speak to an english speaking service associate. I, myself, enrolled my turning 65 spouse in this plan in May of 2006 and we have yet to receive our partB refund. Even after calling the company and being assured it was taken care of no less than 4 times.

I live in Florida, and this was in the St. Pete Times Tuesday:

Universal Health Care Inc. of St. Petersburg, which has attracted Medicare enrollees to its managed care plans by offering everything from zero premiums to money back, is under investigation by Florida Office of Insurance Regulation.

According to a division spokesman, state officials are concerned the privately owned insurer has grown too rapidly and does not have sufficient financial reserves as required by law.

"We have strong suspicion they may be out of line with most, if not all, of the state's solvency guidelines," said insurance office spokesman Bob Lotane. "We got word on the street that they may have sold far more than their original plan of operation or that their financials would allow them to do. And we have strong reasons to suspect that's the case."

Despite all of this I believe Universal will survive, they just received $30m in investment money from Warburg Pincus and are pursuing an IPO. There will be an inevitable correction in the market and those seniors who should really be in a chronic illness SNP or dual eligible SNP now will be moved into the products that will best serve them and Universal will resume a more realistic growth arc.

just my humble opinion

Re: Universal, the Good the Bad and the Ugly

g1bass said:
Firstly I'd like to say after selling Universal Products through 2 open enrollment periods that it is not a bad product. It has been sold basically on the merits of returning the part B premium. This is strictly a marketing ploy and is offset by high per diem of hospital benefits, a not very good drug formulary, and larger than average maximum out of pocket.

I've always targetted a specific group for sales of Universal, turning 65s, people with very few chronic illness, and folks in the VA. This however has not been true with many agents involved with this company, I am not saying anyone on this list has acted unprofessionally. I was a captive in an organization that condoned co-ercion of seniors in these plans and recently consulted on a case where the enrollee had medicaid, leukemia,and colon cancer and was coerced into enrolling in Universal. I, until recently have had nothing but trouble servicing my enrollees, and God forbid an enrollee needed to speak to an english speaking service associate. I, myself, enrolled my turning 65 spouse in this plan in May of 2006 and we have yet to receive our partB refund. Even after calling the company and being assured it was taken care of no less than 4 times.

I live in Florida, and this was in the St. Pete Times Tuesday:

Universal Health Care Inc. of St. Petersburg, which has attracted Medicare enrollees to its managed care plans by offering everything from zero premiums to money back, is under investigation by Florida Office of Insurance Regulation.

According to a division spokesman, state officials are concerned the privately owned insurer has grown too rapidly and does not have sufficient financial reserves as required by law.

"We have strong suspicion they may be out of line with most, if not all, of the state's solvency guidelines," said insurance office spokesman Bob Lotane. "We got word on the street that they may have sold far more than their original plan of operation or that their financials would allow them to do. And we have strong reasons to suspect that's the case."

Despite all of this I believe Universal will survive, they just received $30m in investment money from Warburg Pincus and are pursuing an IPO. There will be an inevitable correction in the market and those seniors who should really be in a chronic illness SNP or dual eligible SNP now will be moved into the products that will best serve them and Universal will resume a more realistic growth arc.

just my humble opinion

Wow! Doggy Dog at it's all time high!!! Damn, what a shame. Makes me question the other 'newbie' companies and how well they'll deliver.
Here is another example of the the insatiable greed monster biting off more than being able to digest.

And here's what sucks the most. Ready. Who do you think the client / enrollee will call if services aren't met? And / or possibly report, hu? I hope you all have sufficient E & O Coverage.

To the poster whom I quoted above. I thank you for sharing your personal experiences and I am very sorry to hear of your encounter. I appreciate your honest feedback.

As long as the agent has not told the member anything wrong, the agent has nothing to worry about.

If the plan does not perform as stated, then it is the fault of the company.

Worst thing that will happen is that they will pull out of the county, and you can go in and sell them a different product.

Corresponded with my rep at Universal. Supposedly this is just temporary, but with open enrollment coming to an end, I don't see how we'll have any more enrollments before the end of March. Of course I still haven't been paid by them, so I'm not looking to send them more business.

((Universal Health Care Inc. of St. Petersburg, which has attracted Medicare enrollees to its managed care plans by offering everything from zero premiums to money back, is under investigation by Florida Office of Insurance Regulation ))

Glory be!!
What is going on in the insurance industry. Better yet, I thought these companies were funded by the CMS. Are they bankrolled by private money instead? If so, why wasn't Fla DOI on top of this last year, or 2005 when they first ventured into this mkt.? I do know Florida, like New York...has tight regulations.

Hopefully it won't hit the night news or our phones will be ringing.

Latest posts

Back