Universal Healthcare Florida Obituary

superdave

Expert
Florida
Effective March 21, 2013, Universal Health Care, Inc. (“UHC”) was ordered into receivership for purposes of rehabilitation by the Second Judicial Circuit Court in Leon County, Florida. The Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Rehabilitation and Liquidation, is the court appointed Receiver of UHC. Effective April 1, 2013, pursuant to the Court Order, UHC will automatically move into receivership for purposes of liquidation.
By Court Order, effective at 12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013, all contracts for health care coverage provided by UHC that have not already expired are automatically cancelled. Policies or contracts of coverage with normal expiration dates prior to April 1, 2013, or which are terminated by insureds or lawfully cancelled by the Receiver or insured before April 1, 2013, are considered cancelled as of the earlier date.
IMPORTANT: UHC and UHCIC members will receive continued health care coverage from 12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013, through arrangements made by CMS, AHCA and Elder Affairs. The Florida Department of Financial Services, as Receiver of UHC, is working with CMS, AHCA and Elder Affairs to assist in their efforts to provide a smooth transition for UHC’s members to other health care coverage beginning on April 1, 2013. UHC members are urged to carefully read any letters they receive from the Receiver, CMS, AHCA, or Elder Affairs. These letters will provide members with extremely important information regarding the continuation of their health care coverage from April 1, 2013, including arrangements made for continued prescription drug coverage, as well as explain their other Medicare/Medicaid options.
Please Additionally Note: The Texas and Nevada based HMOs owned by UHC’s parent organization, Universal Health Care Group, are ongoing entities and are NOT part of these receivership proceedings.

COVERAGE INFORMATION – MEDICARE MEMBERS:
Do I have health care coverage now?
Yes. UHC Medicare members have continued health care coverage with the company until 12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013. Please refer to the letter you receive from CMS for details regarding your continued health care coverage from 12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013.
If I need to go to the hospital or need to seek other emergency care, who will authorize my medical treatment?
If you have a medical emergency (you believe your health is in serious danger):
• Get medical help as quickly as possible. Call 911 for help or go to the nearest emergency room. You do not need to get permission or authorization from your provider.
• Make sure that your provider knows about your emergency so that they can be involved in following up on your emergency care. You or someone else should call to tell your provider about your emergency care as soon as possible, preferably within 48 hours.
• Until 12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013, you should also notify UHC’s Customer Services Department at 1-866-690-4842.
• Please refer to the letter you receive from CMS for details regarding your continued health care coverage from 12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013.
I need to fill a prescription. Which pharmacy should I use?
Continue to use the pharmacy you use as a member of UHC until further notice from CMS.
Who is SHINE and how can they assist me?

SHINE is a statewide, volunteer-based program offering free Medicare and health insurance education, counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families and caregivers. SHINE is funded through a grant from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and administered by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.

yeah tried that over and over, my requests keep getting kicked back saying, no app on file, case closed.
Hope they figure it all out and we get paid.

yeah tried that over and over, my requests keep getting kicked back saying, no app on file, case closed.

I've had about 8 clients do it now through Medicare with no hiccup. If you're talking about getting paid from the company, it's going to take a while I'm sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When is the first app you switched over?

Last edited:
Just got an email from Aetna with "CMS clarification" on this. They instruct that normal app process with SEP-Universal Health Care for election period. Day before got UnitedHC email, same app process with SEP- Contract Termination. Seems any variation may work so long as CMS has their current plan as Universal.

Back