Unum Using a Trust

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
So I noticed on Unum's Group Benefits contract that they use a Trust called the Select Group Insurance Trust. The contract wording says that the client is "under" this Trust.

What does this mean? If the Trust goes down while a claim is in motion, what happens?

I do not know that particular trust and I do have some Unum LTD/STD on the books.

What I have seen with other carriers using a trust is they use it to charge the client more money so they can offset their admin fee's with each state's DOI.
I would call your rep on that.

I do not know that particular trust and I do have some Unum LTD/STD on the books.

What I have seen with other carriers using a trust is they use it to charge the client more money so they can offset their admin fee's with each state's DOI.
I would call your rep on that.

Insurance carriers use trusts to get around what ever state's laws are a nuisance to them. Example, an insurance carrier will create a policy in Delaware (lax insurance laws and quick to push stuff through) and run groups in New York (tough insurance laws, long backlog) through without any problems.

Some states don't allow certificates to be issued via a trust. When a trust is used to issue coverage it is usually done under deemer provisions.

There are administrative savings in using a trust, such as not having to rewrite, file and appeal provisions in the coverage. Some agents think coverage issued via trusts have higher premiums and renewals but I have never seen any evidence of that.

It is a fairly common practice, particularly for ancillary group lines such as life and DI products. Less so for medical coverage.

I don't ever recall seeing a trust based product in NY and I do not believe they are a deemer state.

No relation.

Several states have deemer provisions on the books. Essentially, if a policy is filed and approved in state A, and state B has a reciprocal deemer agreement with state A, then the policy is deemed to be approved in state B.

Obviously it would also work in reverse where a policy is approved in B, it would be deemed to be approved in A.

Latest posts

Back