Unusual Request - Universal Life with Possible Viatical?

billkard

Hi all,

I've only been doing this a little while but I have great backup from my manager with years of experience. Went to see a referral and came upon a situation that has us both stumped.

Prospect is 64, in good health with no medical issues. Wants a 400K Universal life (good, right?) but here's what she wants to do -
Pay 2 year's premiums up front
Then make normal monthly payments
Borrow $200K from policy within first 30 days to pay for invalid sister's medical and LTC expenses
Continue to make payments on the policy for remainder of her life

Obviously we told her she couldn't borrow more than the CV in her policy. She claims that she already had an offer prior to our meeting that said she could do this. On more discussion and thinking, the only way we could see this working is through a viatical settlement.

But the lady claims she will still be owning the policy and making premium payments. Went through our brokerage clearing house and they said they knew of no one who would do this, especially considering the prospect's good health. And they said said there was no possibility of her retaining ownership of the policy.

Just to be entirely certain we aren't missing something, is there some way to accomplish what this lady is asking? Is there someone out there willing to work a transaction like this?

NO, not possible.

People get so confused, just like the folks who wait until they have been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and then want to buy that 100K policy. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Just because a 64 yo lady says she can do this, doesn't make it so.

But... just in case I am wrong, I will take one of those policies too, in fact... I want the 1 mil policy because I want to borrow 500K. Can I get this in place by next week please...? And ask her where I can p/u the 500K the following week...?

Hi all,

I've only been doing this a little while but I have great backup from my manager with years of experience. Went to see a referral and came upon a situation that has us both stumped.

Prospect is 64, in good health with no medical issues. Wants a 400K Universal life (good, right?) but here's what she wants to do -
Pay 2 year's premiums up front
Then make normal monthly payments
Borrow $200K from policy within first 30 days to pay for invalid sister's medical and LTC expenses
Continue to make payments on the policy for remainder of her life

Obviously we told her she couldn't borrow more than the CV in her policy. She claims that she already had an offer prior to our meeting that said she could do this. On more discussion and thinking, the only way we could see this working is through a viatical settlement.

But the lady claims she will still be owning the policy and making premium payments. Went through our brokerage clearing house and they said they knew of no one who would do this, especially considering the prospect's good health. And they said said there was no possibility of her retaining ownership of the policy.

Just to be entirely certain we aren't missing something, is there some way to accomplish what this lady is asking? Is there someone out there willing to work a transaction like this?

She is all set. She already has "an offer" not just a quote from this other company. Go for it. Tell her you would like to look into getting appointed with the company. I am sure she will give you the name. Actually, I am going to guess that is confidential :)

Glad to see the consensus is going along with what we've been thinking. AML is not an issue - lady is well known in the community and has a lot to lose if this is attempted.

I really think she is at the end of her rope, grasping at straws and trying to avoid dipping into her own considerable assets. Tried to get info on the offer because we "wanted the opportunity to offer it to our clients" and it was confidential. Surprise, surprise. I'm sure when she actually gets the paperwork the offer is going to be significantly different than what she thinks.

Back