UPDATE for Those Who Donated to the Homeless

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I visited with some of the homeless men today, for the first time. I was told that the needed a bow saw to cut wood, a hatchet, and some AA and D size batteries. I purchased these before I went and they were so thankful to have them. As a matter of fact, one of the men cut firewood the whole time I was there.

I am so glad I went and wanted to let you know what your donations are doing. We had delivered sleeping bags to them already but they weren't using them yet because they wanted to get used to the colder weather. They were concerned that using the really warm bags now would cause them to be colder as winter set in. I did see the bags still rolled up inside of their tents so I know they have them.

One of the men was very happy to have been able to fix a box of Spanish rice for breakfast this morning. This guy appeared to be mentally handicapped and stuttered so badly that it was very difficult to understand what he was saying. I felt fortunate that he trusted me enough to take me to his camping area which was in a ravine, hidden from sight. His tent was falling apart and his blankets and bedding were wet from the recent rains. He told me about the fox that will come to his tent at night looking for food and a skunk was also known to pay a visit.

Another gentleman, who look just like you and me, also was happy to see us there. He also was thankful for the sleeping bags and was concerned about his tent leaking as well. I know this to be true because he took me to his campsite too. A raccoon had eaten through his tent and had learned to open a jar of peanut butter. He tried to patch his tent but the hole was way too large.

I am planning on using some of the donations to purchase new tents for these guys and I will also be getting them some bags of potatoes and other food items like that. I am purchasing things that won't spoil easily.

I know rural Virigina is arch-conservative and does not have a strong belief in government programs but aren't there any shelters that these people could go to in the bad weather to keep warm and dry and maybe get a bowl of soup?

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a book called The Grapes of Wrath.. or perhaps the movie. My generation grew up with parental stories of the Great Depression and we all read the book.

You should read it, or watch the movie.

It might not hurt some of you arch-conservatives to see what human suffering looks like up close and personal... and maybe not be so hard-hearted to those less fortunate.

Hunger, pain, sickness, depression... all transcend politics. Look at Dwayne. He's as arch-con as the rest of you. But unlike the rest of you, he doesn't have a heart of stone... he has a heart of gold.

It wouldn't hurt for a lot of you wealthy arch-cons to send him a c-note or two. Maybe you could convince the wealthy and the most "arch-con" person (I won't mention his name but you can guess) here to pledge to match (or exceed) my "liberal" donation.

I know you guys love the concept of "greed is good." It makes for a great Palin stump-speech and for good Limbaugh/Beck political rhetoric. However, in real life terms... it's not.

-Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Al, I'll have to put you on the phone with my brother.

He runs an organization that helps the poor and homeless, especially in the winter.

Many do not want help - just to be left alone. Others have some degree of mental illness but a federal law prohibits anyone to "force" them into treatment.

I know rural Virigina is arch-conservative and does not have a strong belief in government programs but aren't there any shelters that these people could go to in the bad weather to keep warm and dry and maybe get a bowl of soup?

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a book called The Grapes of Wrath.. or perhaps the movie. My generation grew up with parental stories of the Great Depression and we all read the book.

You should read it, or watch the movie.

It might not hurt some of you arch-conservatives to see what human suffering looks like up close and personal... and maybe not be so hard-hearted to those less fortunate.

Hunger, pain, sickness, depression... all transcend politics. Look at Dwayne. He's as arch-con as the rest of you. But unlike the rest of you, he doesn't have a heart of stone... he has a heart of gold.

It wouldn't hurt for a lot of you wealthy arch-cons to send him a c-note or two. Maybe you could convince the wealthy and the most "arch-con" person (I won't mention his name but you can guess) here to pledge to match (or exceed) my "liberal" donation.

I know you guys love the concept of "greed is good." It makes for a great Palin stump-speech and for good Limbaugh/Beck political rhetoric. However, in real life terms... it's not.

-Al

YouTube - John Steinbeck & The Grapes of Wrath

YouTube - Critics' Picks: 'The Grapes of Wrath' -- NYTimes.com/Video

Thanks for the kind words. Actually there is not a single shelter in Waynesboro; The closest is the Valley Mission in Staunton which is usually full and caters more to families that are up against it. The guys I met today would scare young kids to death.

A cool thing happen while my buddy and I were there today. We heard someone coming through the woods and it was a man and his son who lived nearby and knew the men from childhood, and they offered to take them to their house for Thanksgiving dinner.

When I used to play guitar on the streets for money during my summers between school, I met a guy in DC that was once a huge bank executive and, well, his mind got away from him. I mean, he didn't admit to it ... he just thought everything fell apart but when he told me that president Clinton sometimes meets with him for advice, I figured the guy must of some screws loose. Anyway, he told me how horrible the winters were there ... wow ... I can't imagine. These type of people do need help but so many of these guys just need to get a job ... they are just lazy and want a free ride. It makes it hard to distinguish .... so my heart has gotten kind of hard ... I don't do much for them anymore. Now if the guy is willing to wash my window for some change, I will do it ... absolutely ... at least he is making an effort to work (well, there was the time I offered a window washing homeless guy some pizza and he said no thanks, I have to catch my cab ... ha!)

When I used to play guitar on the streets for money during my summers between school, I met a guy in DC that was once a huge bank executive and, well, his mind got away from him. I mean, he didn't admit to it ... he just thought everything fell apart but when he told me that president Clinton sometimes meets with him for advice, I figured the guy must of some screws loose. Anyway, he told me how horrible the winters were there ... wow ... I can't imagine. These type of people do need help but so many of these guys just need to get a job ... they are just lazy and want a free ride. It makes it hard to distinguish .... so my heart has gotten kind of hard ... I don't do much for them anymore. Now if the guy is willing to wash my window for some change, I will do it ... absolutely ... at least he is making an effort to work (well, there was the time I offered a window washing homeless guy some pizza and he said no thanks, I have to catch my cab ... ha!)

That is certainly your choice, I hope you enjoy life to the fullest.

Back