Updated and Improved Medicare Part B and RFEI Forms

WCMason

Guru
1000 Post Club
A couple of months ago Medicare revised their Part B application and Request for Employer Information form. Being preoccupied with AEP I missed catching this until now. In case anyone else missed the update, the link to the PDF files are below. I think these are much easier to understand than their former versions and I'm looking forward to fewer calls from confused prospects I'm working with. I have had people submit the former forms recently without a problem, so I assume they will accept either, at least for now. I find these are great forms to have on hand to email to my prospects who continued to work past age 65 and are ready to retire.

Part B: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS40B-E.pdf
RFEI: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS-L564E.pdf

I wish they had a requested effective date for Part B on there....

I had a lady fill it out and send it in early January (retiring 1/31) and they made it effective 1/1 instead of 2/1. Still not sure why... her employer coverage ended 1/31 and I gave her the rfei form as well, which her employer filled out.

Did I miss something obvious? Something I should have told her that I didn't?

A couple of months ago Medicare revised their Part B application and Request for Employer Information form. Being preoccupied with AEP I missed catching this until now. In case anyone else missed the update, the link to the PDF files are below. I think these are much easier to understand than their former versions and I'm looking forward to fewer calls from confused prospects I'm working with. I have had people submit the former forms recently without a problem, so I assume they will accept either, at least for now. I find these are great forms to have on hand to email to my prospects who continued to work past age 65 and are ready to retire.

Part B: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS40B-E.pdf
RFEI: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS-L564E.pdf

Thanks for the heads up on the updated forms.I have guided many people smoothly through the SEP part B process and as a consequences received many referrals as being the go to guy for help with this but recently it appears that I gave wrong information to a new referral prospect who was unexpectedly terminated from her job early this month.When she called me she informed me that she had went online and applied for part B and received a conformation she was enrolled in part B.I explained to her that unless SS has recently changed the process that I didn't think it was possible to enroll online for a SEP part B without first having the employer attest to having EGHP and I alarmed her saying she might have inadvertently enrolled in the GEP for a 7/1/15 effective date.We did 3 way with SS that day and SS rep confirmed she was not enrolled in part B and that she would need to submit form signed by employer first.I give her the form and she goes to local SS office after her employer signs it and they informed her at local SS office that she actually was already enrolled in part B SEP for 3/1/15 as a result of her previous online application.Do you know ifs this a new capability with SS were they can electronically confirm creditable EGHP coverage for a part B SEP?

----------

I wish they had a requested effective date for Part B on there....

I had a lady fill it out and send it in early January (retiring 1/31) and they made it effective 1/1 instead of 2/1. Still not sure why... her employer coverage ended 1/31 and I gave her the rfei form as well, which her employer filled out.

Did I miss something obvious? Something I should have told her that I didn't?

I refill # 12 ( remarks ) on the copies i make that say:

"I want my part B to start on ............." and instruct them to fill in the effective date they want.I never had an issue

I second the comment in the remarks section and have never had an issue.
Agree. In last revision of the form remarks section was #14. It was where SSA reps wrote in "Part B eff. date _____ " when beneficiaries requested 403B be mailed to them. If prospects are mailing in RFEI and Part B app it is important to remind them to put requested Part B date in that section. Perhaps the next revision will be more specific in this area.

Anyone ever come across an employer that refused to fill out and sign their part of the RFEI form? I'm currently working with a 72 year old guy they just fired and now refuse to sign the form.

Back