UPS RETIREES GOING THROUGH AON

You're just full of it today.

An attorney is an expert on legal matters. But an attorney can not bring that legal knowledge to bear in advising a client about a contract until the client provides the attorney with a copy of the contract in question.

Nor can an insurance agent or financial planner advise a client about an HRA or RHRA until they can see the details of the HRA or RHRA in question. If the client is unwilling to help the agent or planner in obtaining the needed information, that would suggest to me that the client has not been sold very well on the value of the agent or planner's services.

Big difference in those situations, If someone goes to an attorney they are usually in need of help, Probably something going on they need correcting right away or they, believe have been wronged and are not risking losing subsidy by going to them.

Someone actively searching for info in HRA or RHRA are also going to commit to much more info and process

People on retirement benefits are more concerned about what they will lose and already have in their head that the agent could try and make a commitment not caring about what they lose in the way of subsidy.

They already don't know the answers that is why they come across my desk. If I can't find the answer and prove it, They will be more afraid

your "answer" -- more accurately a response -- is only their former employer can confirm for both them, and you. If they don't value your candor about specifics like this, they're a client you're likely to have an expensive (time, and maybe money) relationship with

People on retirement benefits are more concerned about what they will lose and already have in their head that the agent could try and make a commitment not caring about what they lose in the way of subsidy.

this is true, and a preconception to be continually dispelled. Not easy, for sure

Last edited:
I understand the thought as I understand this is how most people, Without experience, think, To them, it seems logical.

However, Experience shows simply asking prospect will not yield correct answers, they will always be lead by their fears, Many times to their own hurt, Taking a fear of rocking the boat attitude.

They already don't know the answers that is why they come across my desk. If I can't find the answer and prove it, They will be more afraid of what they will lose by leaving rather then how much they can save in the long run

Hey Vic!
I appreciate the time you took to make some posts for me.

I have started an answer twice and they've gotten too long. I'm trying again for the short answer.

To me, the issue appears to be exactly like the contract analogy I made. Whenever issues come up about selling coverage to someone under an Aon or Towers Watson contract, one of the first responses in a thread is always, "what does the contract say".

There was one of those, for example, that JD used to be able to discuss at length because he had sold dozens (?) of people that were under that plan. So I do have some sense, from just reading posts here, of the desirability of gathering information in a back door manner, IF POSSIBLE.

OP's post, and thread responses (until the maybe Aon person responded) were not generating a lot of UPS specific information. So, since the standard "backdoor information gathering" appeared to not be working, and contract details appear to be hidden within UPS user accounts; my comment is: "Ask the prospective client to help you obtain a copy of the contract data involved so you can review it and help the client make the wisest decision for their situation".

Hey Vic!
I appreciate the time you took to make some posts for me.

I have started an answer twice and they've gotten too long. I'm trying again for the short answer.

To me, the issue appears to be exactly like the contract analogy I made. Whenever issues come up about selling coverage to someone under an Aon or Towers Watson contract, one of the first responses in a thread is always, "what does the contract say".

There was one of those, for example, that JD used to be able to discuss at length because he had sold dozens (?) of people that were under that plan. So I do have some sense, from just reading posts here, of the desirability of gathering information in a back door manner, IF POSSIBLE.

OP's post, and thread responses (until the maybe Aon person responded) were not generating a lot of UPS specific information. So, since the standard "backdoor information gathering" appeared to not be working, and contract details appear to be hidden within UPS user accounts; my comment is: "Ask the prospective client to help you obtain a copy of the contract data involved so you can review it and help the client make the wisest decision for their situation".

What does the contract say, Yes you are correct in that.

However, I do sales over the phone, Getting them to send me a contract is not usually going to happen when they are already coming from a place of fear and mistrust.

Now I assume (and I could be wrong) for those who do in-home appointment's it would be difficult to get to the right spot in a timely manner unless they knew beforehand where it was

Maybe they could ask to take it with them on doing Follow up an appointment, Although I don't know how that would work out, Although again I am not experienced in face to face Medicare sales.

I will say also most people would not still have or be able to find the full contract quickly. I have signed a few where I had a copy of the page or the letter explaining, where they only needed to purchase PDP though AON, However with these they never had a copy themselves still available I had to send them a copy for them to see

They get overflooded with paperwork retiring getting medicare getting SS and everything else they get in the mail

Once you are dependant on them getting something they already lost, Its a losing battle

Building on what Vic shared, people want to trust the govt (seriously???) or will take the "unbiased" advice of someone not on a commission (even though salaried phone clerks probably ARE biased, paid to push one product over another).

But they feel uneasy about a commissioned sales person. Regrettably, in many cases, the fear is justified.

Our job as brokers is to earn their trust, and a right to their business.

Thanks Greg, but I don't spend a lot of time chasing folks with retiree HRA's. If they can't go outside the golden handcuffs to buy a Medigap plan I say goodbye and wish them well.

Don't have time or desire to beat dead horses.

And if they are convinced they STILL have to buy everything from the private exchange we also part ways. Even when I show them in writing where they only have to buy a PDP.

In a prior life I had most of the alphabet houses as clients. A few of them really knew what they were doing but most were prima donna's who thought their crap didn't stink.

Their oily hair and silk suits, trying to pass as real Americans . . .

Not suggesting you "chase" anything, just thought there was some confusion about where AON et al's bread is really buttered (hint: not particularly by any one of the Medicare options insurers)

A few of them really knew what they were doing but most were prima donna's who thought their crap didn't stink.

mostly with you on this, but....

Their oily hair and silk suits, trying to pass as real Americans . .

uhhhm.... what?

Back