US wants drug prices in TV ads: 'Patients deserve to know'

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
US wants drug prices in TV ads: 'Patients deserve to know'

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar unveiled a proposal that would apply to all brand-name drugs covered by the Medicare and Medicaid programs, which is most medicines.

"Patients deserve to know what a given drug could cost when they're being told about the benefits and risks it may have," Azar said in prepared remarks. "They deserve to know if the drug company has pushed their prices to abusive levels. And they deserve to know this every time they see a drug advertised to them on TV."

I have mixed feelings on this. "Transparency" in health care sounds great but is more confusing than helpful.

Consider the Medicare drug cost reports we run for clients. Ran one yesterday for Xarelto. Retail price for 90 day supply was $1200 retail. Her copay was $0 until mid year when she enters the donut hole.

Month 6 copay is $130; month 9 $380.

She will get almost $5,000 worth of med's for less than $500 over the course of 12 months.

And yet she complained because her copay would increase late in the year.

I have mixed feelings on this. "Transparency" in health care sounds great but is more confusing than helpful.

Consider the Medicare drug cost reports we run for clients. Ran one yesterday for Xarelto. Retail price for 90 day supply was $1200 retail. Her copay was $0 until mid year when she enters the donut hole.

Month 6 copay is $130; month 9 $380.

She will get almost $5,000 worth of med's for less than $500 over the course of 12 months.

And yet she complained because her copay would increase late in the year.

Depends what someone is used too, Unfortunately past experience can ruin perception, when I was young my father had great insurance, we never paid more than $15 or $20 copay for name brand drugs, the Same thing many are coming off group insurance and have been paying very low copays for things like Xarelto, Insulin & COPD inhalers

Now on Medicare its sticker shock, on the $45 copay even before we talk about the donut hole

Sometimes I feel like my least favorite part of my buis is talking meds to a new retiree that will hit the donut hole

Sometimes I feel like they take it harder now than when they had to pay most the cost in the donut hole for some reason

I mean they all get over it, its just not pleasant is all

Agree, sometimes I wonder if I need to reconsider letting "Medicare.gov" rep break the bad news....

I practice full disclosure. Offer the Medicare reports including monthly cost figures.

Ran a report for client that takes prescription B-12 injections and vitamin D pills. Last year I failed to note that neither were on the formulary.

Took them off this year and she complained they were "covered" last year. Why not this year.

Had to explain that her plan charged full retail ($38 and $9). She would be better off using GoodRx and paying $8 and $3.

Which of course meant she asked "Why pay for a drug plan if I can't use it?"

Some days you can't win.

Back