USAA and SR22

Fdetrana

Expert
I have a question about whether or not I should ask USAA for my sr22 or not? I got a dui almost a year and a half ago and now have my license back. USAA still insures me as I got my sr22 from a second non owner policy. USAA did run my license last 6 month renewal and saw that my license was suspended and just raised my rates a little by dropping the good driver discount. I still had not been charged with the DUI. Now the dui is on my dl record. I only pay 125 a year for the non owner policy that provides my sr22. I am wondering if I should drop the non owner policy and only pay 25 to usaa rather than 125 for the second policy? However i would worry about usaa dropping me after 6 months cause of the sr22 and knowing I have a dui? I think in the fine print on the policy they won’t insure dui offenders. If I keep the sr22 separate I could get lucky and usaa won’t run my license for another year or more since they just ran it 6 months ago? What’s the consensus? Thanks

You risk losing the USAA policy for concealing the DUI. But since you are already travelling down that road, you might as well keep second policy and hope for the best.

I doubt that USAA will only charge $25 for the SR22. They'll want to know why and you'll have to tell them. That's when stuff hits the fan.

Well they just renewed me and raised my rates 126 dollars over 6 months. The prior six months they raised it 75 over the six months cause they saw the suspended license. I have a feeling the know about the dui but maybe because I have an umbrella policy and my wife as the main driver on our 3 vehicles they are not dropping me? Plus I’ve been with them for 15 years? I’ll keep the second policy and see what happens.

Usaa does know about my dui and only charged me 25 for the sr22

Great.

Then you are good to go and shouldn't need the other policy.

I think DUIs drop off your driving record after 5 years and then your rates become more competitive.

Meantime, I hope you have quit drinking and will stay that way. Booze makes people do stupid things, like driving after having some. For a drinker, 2d and 3d DUIs are almost inevitable

Back