USAA Medicare Products Exclusive?

Discussion in 'Senior Insurance Forum' started by salesgirl, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Todd King

Todd King Guru

State:
    Virginia
    We did look around for him. Even got another well-respected agent on here involved. Nobody could touch it.

2. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    I know that you've been selling insurance since electricity was invented, but answer me the following......Exactly how many deals have you lost to USAA during your career?

3. Newby

Newby Guru

State:
    Indiana
    Maybe none. Maybe 1,000. Who knows. But even if it's none their business model is the enemy to me. They sell by phone with a captive agent force. They are anti-independent agent. No crime in that. And they are successful with it. But as an independent agent who makes a living selling insurance I would never support a company like that.

I'm not saying they are bad. They have definitely worked the targeted military market better than their competitors like 5-Star and the others. They have been hugely successful doing that.

But I would never tell our agents Hey you go sell Aetna Med Sups but I'm going to buy mine from this company that won't let you sell them. Not in a million years.

I'm old school that way.

4. VolAgent

VolAgent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    Then it is a good thing he got it when he did. Never a better time to buy insurance than now.

Otherwise I would agree with Newby. I prefer not to give my money to a company that wants to compete with me. With banks it can be hard to avoid, almost any bank or credit union of real size has an insurance department. Of course, they are hardly competition since it seems most just wait for business to walk in or be referred over by a teller or desk person.

5. Matthew King

Matthew King Guru

State:
    Virginia
    I do often think about that. If I hadn't gotten my insurance when I did..man..my rate would have been much higher now. Overall, I do agree with Newby, support the people that aren't the enemy. It was really all just timing. I was 23, not in insurance, and it was all about price for the coverage.

If I could re-write it myself for a better rate and price. I would, I already searched multiple times, for multiple product types, called multiple companies and etc. It's simply just better off left alone where it is is all.

Now when Medicare Supplements roll around for me, your dang right. I'm writing it myself! I'm taking full advantage of that Open Enrollment period. :yes:

6. somarco

somarco Guru

State:
    Georgia
    When does open enrollment come around for you, Matthew? 30 years from now?

7. Matthew King

Matthew King Guru

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah, haha. More than 30 actually!

8. rousemark

rousemark Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    Banks, around here are independent agents. They are not direct writers but represent many of the same companies we represent. Not quite the same as USAA.