USAA Medicare Products Exclusive?

Sure there is plenty of money. But I'm the kind of guy that if I build Hondas for a living and Honda is paying me a nice income, I'm driving a Honda. Everyone that knows me is going to see me driving a Honda.

If I'm an independent insurance agent I'm doing business with independent insurance agents. I don't sell P&C at all. But I buy my auto, homeowners and business insurance from a local independent agency.

A company that wants to cut true agents out of the picture all together would be the last place I would consider for anything. I mean look at what this thread is about. They sell a Med Sup. But they won't let any of your agents sell it. They would actually like to steal sales away from you and your agents. I would never buy a product from them in a million years.

I can understand if he bought into them when he was younger and has an uninsurable condition now. But I would look long and hard before I gave up.

Maybe it's a generation thing. I've become the old geezer guy. But I'm doing business with businesses that support us.

We did look around for him. Even got another well-respected agent on here involved. Nobody could touch it.

Sure there is plenty of money. But I'm the kind of guy that if I build Hondas for a living and Honda is paying me a nice income, I'm driving a Honda. Everyone that knows me is going to see me driving a Honda.

If I'm an independent insurance agent I'm doing business with independent insurance agents. I don't sell P&C at all. But I buy my auto, homeowners and business insurance from a local independent agency.

A company that wants to cut true agents out of the picture all together would be the last place I would consider for anything. I mean look at what this thread is about. They sell a Med Sup. But they won't let any of your agents sell it. They would actually like to steal sales away from you and your agents. I would never buy a product from them in a million years.

I can understand if he bought into them when he was younger and has an uninsurable condition now. But I would look long and hard before I gave up.

Maybe it's a generation thing. I've become the old geezer guy. But I'm doing business with businesses that support us.

----------

You obviously haven't tasted a mouthful hundreds with just a sprinkle of Worcestershire on it and a glass of Kentucky Bourbon?

Tasty!

I know that you've been selling insurance since electricity was invented, but answer me the following......Exactly how many deals have you lost to USAA during your career?

I know that you've been selling insurance since electricity was invented, but answer me the following......Exactly how many deals have you lost to USAA during your career?

Maybe none. Maybe 1,000. Who knows. But even if it's none their business model is the enemy to me. They sell by phone with a captive agent force. They are anti-independent agent. No crime in that. And they are successful with it. But as an independent agent who makes a living selling insurance I would never support a company like that.

I'm not saying they are bad. They have definitely worked the targeted military market better than their competitors like 5-Star and the others. They have been hugely successful doing that.

But I would never tell our agents Hey you go sell Aetna Med Sups but I'm going to buy mine from this company that won't let you sell them. Not in a million years.

I'm old school that way.

We did look around for him. Even got another well-respected agent on here involved. Nobody could touch it.

Then it is a good thing he got it when he did. Never a better time to buy insurance than now.

Otherwise I would agree with Newby. I prefer not to give my money to a company that wants to compete with me. With banks it can be hard to avoid, almost any bank or credit union of real size has an insurance department. Of course, they are hardly competition since it seems most just wait for business to walk in or be referred over by a teller or desk person.

Then it is a good thing he got it when he did. Never a better time to buy insurance than now.

Otherwise I would agree with Newby. I prefer not to give my money to a company that wants to compete with me. With banks it can be hard to avoid, almost any bank or credit union of real size has an insurance department. Of course, they are hardly competition since it seems most just wait for business to walk in or be referred over by a teller or desk person.

I do often think about that. If I hadn't gotten my insurance when I did..man..my rate would have been much higher now. Overall, I do agree with Newby, support the people that aren't the enemy. It was really all just timing. I was 23, not in insurance, and it was all about price for the coverage.

If I could re-write it myself for a better rate and price. I would, I already searched multiple times, for multiple product types, called multiple companies and etc. It's simply just better off left alone where it is is all.

Now when Medicare Supplements roll around for me, your dang right. I'm writing it myself! I'm taking full advantage of that Open Enrollment period. :yes:

You could say the same thing about banks. Almost all in our town sell life insurance. Still bank at Regions.

Banks, around here are independent agents. They are not direct writers but represent many of the same companies we represent. Not quite the same as USAA.

Thanks for the info everyone. That's what I thought and was able to find via the internet, but just wanted a concrete confirmation. It's disappointing to hear.

Back