USAA?

My friend is wanting to get a quote with USAA for his auto insurance and his dad is retired military but has passed away. He was told by another friend to check USAA out. He called and USAA only offered him a checking account since his dad was no longer alive.

Is there a way in which he can get USAA or a quote from USAA with his dad no longer being alive?

His mom is still alive but she wasn't military. I thought I read on here before that it was somehow possible and I thought it was Wino who said how it was done but I'm not finding anything. :err:

I am not sure what it was. My wife was covered through them because her Father, a former Naval Officer, had them. I believe at one time it was limited to officers and their families. No so now. Enlisted, veterans and their families now qualify. I doubt that a widow and her children would lose her eligibility.

All I know is my buddy called them to get insurance because his dad was retired (Navy I think) but passed away and all they offered him was a checking account.

As I recall...

Only members can get insurance through them. Membership is limited to former and active military and checking account holders.

A nice little loophole there.

Bottom line answer to this (from a USAA member and former employee):
If his father ever had USAA, the child would be qualified whether his father was living or deceased. Hopefully when he called in for the auto quote, they checked the database to see if his father was ever a USAA member.
If his father, who retired from the military (purportedly), never had insurance with USAA, then no, his children would not be eligible.
A good rule of thumb is---once a member, always a member. Also, once you're a member, your immediate dependents become members.
The Board of Directors are considering whether to allow people such as your friend....to become eligible based on his father's retiree status.
Knowing how USAA would love to keep growing, I can see that happening in the future.

Bottom line answer to this (from a USAA member and former employee):
If his father ever had USAA, the child would be qualified whether his father was living or deceased. Hopefully when he called in for the auto quote, they checked the database to see if his father was ever a USAA member.
If his father, who retired from the military (purportedly), never had insurance with USAA, then no, his children would not be eligible.
A good rule of thumb is---once a member, always a member. Also, once you're a member, your immediate dependents become members.
The Board of Directors are considering whether to allow people such as your friend....to become eligible based on his father's retiree status.
Knowing how USAA would love to keep growing, I can see that happening in the future.

This is EXACTLY what I found out because I called myself. My step dad can become a member and put me down so I can as well.
Having a checking account only means that you can get insurance through their affiliate but not directly through them so I doubt the price is the same as another company sells their product/s. This was also somewhat clarified. More or less you get the great service not so much the great price.

I signed with them for auto insurance a year ago and a member of this forum blasted me for doing that. He indicated that I was taking bread out of the mouth of P&C agents or words to that effect. However, no one could beat them on price so it was a no brainer for me inasmuch as I was eligible for their coverage. And, yes, they did extend that eligibility to my family members.

Last edited:
USAA is fantastic and I can see why P & C people cringe when they find out a prospect has them as a carrier.
As far as Life Insurance, they can be beat----but it's hard to beat the overall value of USAA for P & C.
I know I'll never leave them as a customer and they were good to work for too----I just didn't want to work P & C and I didn't want to stick around to get paid hourly to sell their life insurance.....but the bennies they give are great.

USAA is fantastic and I can see why P & C people cringe when they find out a prospect has them as a carrier.
As far as Life Insurance, they can be beat----but it's hard to beat the overall value of USAA for P & C.
I know I'll never leave them as a customer and they were good to work for too----I just didn't want to work P & C and I didn't want to stick around to get paid hourly to sell their life insurance.....but the bennies they give are great.

That is true. Their rates are not bad though. I have run up against them more over the last year or so. USAA clients are very loyal. It helps that I have them my P&C also. I do the old "yeah they are great on P&C, I have them also, but not so much on life:.

My sister is retired military and absolutely LOVES USAA. She's tried to get me in, but can't because I'm "just a sister". The only way I can get anything but a checking account with them is if my dad signs up for them, since he was in the military ages ago. Then I could get it through him. Unfortunately, his health is not so good, and it's just not a priority to go through the trouble of getting signed up (finding the necessary stuff to do so, since it was so long ago). So I'm outta luck. Which stinks. :(

Hopefully they will open it up a little more down the road and let brothers and sisters in as well, and not just kids.

That's CRAZY! All dear old dad has to do is call them (800) 531-8722 and join up. Short phone call. I used to talk to people in their 90s all the time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
go here:

USAA / Welcome to USAA

Last edited:
Back