USAA?

My sister is retired military and absolutely LOVES USAA. She's tried to get me in, but can't because I'm "just a sister". The only way I can get anything but a checking account with them is if my dad signs up for them, since he was in the military ages ago. Then I could get it through him. Unfortunately, his health is not so good, and it's just not a priority to go through the trouble of getting signed up (finding the necessary stuff to do so, since it was so long ago). So I'm outta luck. Which stinks. :(

Hopefully they will open it up a little more down the road and let brothers and sisters in as well, and not just kids.

There is one more option: Why Join? : Joining the Navy : Navy.com

The only way I can get anything but a checking account with them is if my dad signs up for them, since he was in the military ages ago. Then I could get it through him. Unfortunately, his health is not so good, and it's just not a priority to go through the trouble of getting signed up (finding the necessary stuff to do so, since it was so long ago). So I'm outta luck. Which stinks.

Not so. You can call for him or better your mother if she is still alive. You or your mother will need to know the following and let them know the situation:
1) His Social Security Number
2) Birth date
3) Branch of service he was in
4) His rank
5) Month and year when he went in and out (roughly)
6) What type of discharge (honorable or not)
7) Info for his car and home for quote

He doesn't have to take the insurance. He doesn't need a car or home. That's all you need for him to be a member and they may request any of those items for proof. The key is your dad is still alive ;)

easy peasy Japanesey!

If you have any problems let me know and I'll give you the number, name and extension of the girl there I talked to. You just need to sweet talk on the phone and have conversation.

Last edited:
I am surprised you do not need a DD-214

Not so. You can call for him or better your mother if she is still alive. You or your mother will need to know the following and let them know the situation:
1) His Social Security Number
2) Birth date
3) Branch of service he was in
4) His rank
5) Month and year when he went in and out (roughly)
6) What type of discharge (honorable or not)
7) Info for his car and home for quote

He doesn't have to take the insurance. He doesn't need a car or home. That's all you need for him to be a member and they may request any of those items for proof. The key is your dad is still alive ;)

easy peasy Japanesey!

If you have any problems let me know and I'll give you the number, name and extension of the girl there I talked to. You just need to sweet talk on the phone and have conversation.

Back