Use during Supp "Free Look" time frame ?

MrSockMonkey

Expert
Someone just asked me this: If you are in the free look period and go to the doctor, and maybe even get some kind of treatment, possibly needing ongoing treatment, is it covered, and you still get a full refund, if you cancel by the end of 30 days? She has already signed up for a new Plan F with another agent for after the 30 days.

The question also included, what is the purpose of a free look if you can't see if you like it, if you have to use it?

This person just turned 65 March 3, got a Plan F that will be cancelled March 30 and going with another company and agent April 1. I understand she will only be covered by original Medicare that day in between.

However, she thinks she should go to the doctor now and not wait, for something that just came up. I only got my license 2 weeks ago and just learning now. I think this is a great question. But way beyond me at this time.

Furthermore, since she is in IEP, if something serious is found during the free look on the current/old policy, the new supplement company will cover what is now a pre-existing condition, correct?

Oh joy....all the fun I am going to have learning this. Thank you.

Someone just asked me this: If you are in the free look period and go to the doctor, and maybe even get some kind of treatment, possibly needing ongoing treatment, is it covered, and you still get a full refund, if you cancel by the end of 30 days? She has already signed up for a new Plan F with another agent for after the 30 days.

The question also included, what is the purpose of a free look if you can't see if you like it, if you have to use it?

This person just turned 65 March 3, got a Plan F that will be cancelled March 30 and going with another company and agent April 1. I understand she will only be covered by original Medicare that day in between.

However, she thinks she should go to the doctor now and not wait, for something that just came up. I only got my license 2 weeks ago and just learning now. I think this is a great question. But way beyond me at this time.

Furthermore, since she is in IEP, if something serious is found during the free look on the current/old policy, the new supplement company will cover what is now a pre-existing condition, correct?

I suggest that you call the company and ask. They don't necessarily all do it the same. Be sure before you give advice on this.

Thanks, goillini52. I thought this was all written in stone. I did not realize the companies may vary in how they treat certain situations. I think it is a good idea to look at Medicare 101...hopefully things like this are covered?

Thanks, goillini52. I thought this was all written in stone. I did not realize the companies may vary in how they treat certain situations. I think it is a good idea to look at Medicare 101...hopefully things like this are covered?
What I was saying you should call the company about, is how they'll treat the refund of the premium if they've paid a claim during the Free Look Period. They'll deduct a months premium if any claims paid from the refund. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Yes, she can change companies as many times as she wants during her 6 month IEP, and they have to cover any pre-existing conditions. No health questions.

There should be no gap. Her last day of coverage on the 1st policy should be March 31st.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Now I'm going to call the correct company ☺️. There is so much to learn and I love this. I appreciate your help.

Hi. She prepaid an entire year upfront. We are wondering how they handle the refund if she has a claim during the free look period and then cancels...do they simply deduct the 1 month earned premium and refund the rest? Thank you.

Hi. She prepaid an entire year upfront. We are wondering how they handle the refund if she has a claim during the free look period and then cancels...do they simply deduct the 1 month earned premium and refund the rest? Thank you.

Absolutely she is entitled to an 11 month refund. The thought that I have is you have walked into a war between two agents that serves you no good purpose at all. My first thought would be to get away from that lady fast because she is trouble.

Back